Myth Live unfit for prom

Myth Live unfit for prom

Myth Live remains empty on a Wednesday night. This is expected because no concerts were occurring that night.

Photo by Michael O'Gorman

Photo by Michael O'Gorman

Photo by Michael O'Gorman

Michael O'Gorman, Business Editor

Prom takes place at The Myth this year, a venue for mostly rap and rock concerts.  The Myth has a bar for adults and hosts many concerts.  The venue is clearly meant for adults, and not for students.

In the last two years, there have been 262 calls to police, which on average would be a call every three days.  That seems normal because it’s a venue, but The Myth is barely even open more than five times a month. The calls involve serious crimes, such as drug overdoses, brawls and sexual assaults.  Even the city of Maplewood has been addressing these problems.

“The City of Maplewood has had repeated issues with crime and safety at the Myth Live over the past two years. These issues constitute a threat to public safety,” a city report said.

I think The Myth is a cool place for concerts, but ugly for a prom venue.  I definitely think there are better places to hold prom. I know other schools are not having their prom at The Myth.”

— Jolie Anderson

Just last month, a popular rapper among high school students called Lil Baby had a concert at The Myth.  To no surprise a shooting occurred that hospitalized an 18-year-old. The club area alone is suspicious, and students do not need to hang out there.

Every student knows the problems with the high school parking lot.  There is barely enough room for everyone and huge traffic surrounding the school due to the students.  The Myth has not nearly as much parking spots as the high school. This will only cause problems for nearby businesses that have to deal with random cars parking in their lot due to the fact that students cannot find places to park.

According to The Myth’s website there is “additional FREE parking at the Maplewood Mall in front of Macy’s.”

On paper, that sounds great, assuming that students do not park at random businesses.  In reality they will have high school students walking to their cars at night with no adults.  Having most students, not even mature to be trusted to pee in a bathroom, walking around in an unfamiliar area at night, is a horrible idea.

According to a Twin Cities article named “Maplewood city officials to review safety issues at Myth Live nightclub after weekend shooting, drug overdose ,” a retired security guard at Myth Live named Aaron Huisenga said there were some security in the parking lot, but most of it focused on the venue.

Once again, with many students driving themselves or taking party buses, a parking lot with low security is a recipe for disaster.

Senior Jolie Anderson said, “I think The Myth is a cool place for concerts, but ugly for a prom venue.  I definitely think there are better places to hold prom. I know other schools are not having their prom at The Myth.”

Lets face it, The Myth is just an unfit place for a prom.  There are many other options that the school could use for a prom venue.  Students do not need huge speakers blasting in their ears, meant for concerts, at prom.  Students pay a ton of money for their dresses, tuxedos, and preparations, just to go to a trashy night club.

Michael O'Gorman, Business Editor

My name is Michael O'Gorman. I'm a junior at SAHS and a business editor for the newspaper.  I am in Mock Trial for my second year.  I enjoy thrift shopping...