Annual junior/senior prom “prom”ises greatness

May 4, 2019

The annual junior/senior prom will be held on May 4 at the Myth Live in Maplewood. Many students look forward to dressing up and hanging out with friends.

Photo submitted by Tori Lee

Photo submitted by Tori Lee

Photo submitted by Tori Lee

After a long year of tests, quizzes, and a lot of busy work, it is finally time for students to celebrate a job well done. What better way than to attend the annual junior/senior prom. Prom will be held at the Myth Live in Maplewood, similar to the past few years. It will be held on May 4 from 7 – 11 p.m. There will be dancing, coronation of the prom king and queen, desert and water bar and a photo booth, a favorite among prom-goers.

Prom committee works hard every year to make prom fun, enjoyable and safe for everyone who decides to attend. This year’s prom theme is “Under the Stars”, a simple and romantic theme.

Tickets go on sale during lunches and after school from April 15 through April 18 for $35 and April 22 through April 26 for $45. Tickets are also on sale on Fee Pay for $55 from April 29 to the day before prom, May 3.

Dusty Dennis, prom committee co-adviser, has attended prom for “almost a decade.” Four of those years he co-advised prom committee with Jacki Delahunt. Dennis and the students on the prom committee come up with the ideas and construct the decorations.

“My favorite thing is seeing kids [that I do not see often] at their last big social function before they go off into the world,” Dennis explained.

With prom fast approaching, Dennis and the rest of the prom committee are in “go, go, go,” mode.

“Two weeks before it’s go, go, go, go because we’ve forgotten something, or something’s just getting made, or somebody comes up with a new idea that they want to try and make happen. It’s always go, go, go. But, everybody makes sure that it’s fun,” Dennis said.

Dennis, who would usually be attending prom, is unfortunately missing this year due to an out-of-town soccer tournament

It’s always go, go, go. But, everybody makes sure that it’s fun.”

— Dusty Dennis

“Have fun at prom,” he added.

Delahunt advised prom committee for 9 to 10 years.

According to Delahunt, prom is a year’s old tradition that started “early on,” some time in the realm of “before 1914.” To find the answer, “we would have to look back in history.”

No matter the year, prom takes lots of work to put on.

Delahunt’s role is to “reserve the facility, work with the caterers, [organize] ticket sales, put stuff on Fee Pay and order the decorations,” she explained.

The night of prom, she will also help set up and take down decorations, sign attendees in and “spectate” the kids.

Delahunt is looking forward to “enjoying being there watching the kids.”

This year is junior Megan Purhmann’s first time being a part of prom committee and attending prom. She is looking forward to going to prom with her friends and “hopefully [her] boyfriend” to see all the committee’s hard work come together.

“I like selling tickets a lot. Sometimes it’s stressful because there’s a lot of people, but they want to go, so that’s awesome,” Puhrmann explained.

“I think the most fun part [about prom committee] is we get to decide the theme, the colors and all the decorations,” she added.

Sometimes, being a part of prom is stressful and a lot of work, but “it’s fun to dress up and hang out with your friends, no matter the setting,” Puhrmann explained.

Senior Rachel Colwell was a part of prom committee last year and this year. This year is her second year attending prom, as well.

When Colwell was younger, she thought prom “was like the princess ball.” Though, the first year she went to prom, she ran into some trouble.

“We danced for a while. Then, we went out to our car. My friend locked her keys in her car. So, we had to dance outside until her dad came to give us her keys. But, it was fun. It was a fun night,” Colwell explained.

When it comes to prom committee jobs, they “don’t really have a specific role,” but Colwell is looking forward to the night of prom when everything will be set up.

“I’m most looking forward to setting prom up. I think that’ll be really fun. Having it all turn out and look really good,” Colwell said.