Women running in a man’s presidential race, more challenging

Senator+Amy+Klobuchar+announced+her+2020+presidential+candidacy.+In+Minneapolis%2C+Minn.+Klobuchar+gathered+in+a+snowy+field+amongst+democratic+supporters+to+announce+her+long+awaited+news.++

Senator Amy Klobuchar announced her 2020 presidential candidacy. In Minneapolis, Minn. Klobuchar gathered in a snowy field amongst democratic supporters to announce her long awaited news.

Creative Commons image through Flickr by Lorie Shaull https://www.flickr.com/photos/number7cloud/32113730397

Rosie Nichols, Layout Editor

Since the beginning of politics, it has been a man’s world. No women allowed to stand up for their opinion, express their concerns or revolt against oppression.

The exclusive presence of men in the White House used to wash away the hope for women in search of a career in politics. Excitingly enough, times are changing and women are declaring their presence in modern day politics.

As the 2020 presidential candidates begin their race for support, more women than ever have announced their candidacy. The controversy lies within media coverage because of women gaining more celebration thus increasing their overall press.

The years of female oppression and discrimination have only made them fight back stronger and this election will prove it. The times that women have been told they are too weak, too emotional and too naive have given them the right today to gain more celebration for putting their foot down in what was once a man’s race. Without the support from the public, media and fellow candidates, women are in no better place than where they were in the past.

Women should definitely be celebrated more because their being role models for young women to follow. Male or female, everyone should know they have the same opportunities.”

— Olivia Hoveland

“Women should definitely be celebrated more because their being role models for young women to follow. Male or female, everyone should know they have the same opportunities,” sophomore Olivia Hoveland said.

As a whole, the topic of gender roles and stereotypes has been debated heavily in media and what better time to cover a controversy then during a presidential election. It is no surprise that women are receiving backlash for running against such powerful men and this might be a problem that will stay relevant through time. Through adversity, the growth of female empowerment and determination will never cease.

“Women in politics was not really a thing in the past 20 years and it’s definitely becoming more and more popular. I believe they should be celebrated more, but not necessarily given more advantages,” senior Mia Pariseau said.

Those opposing a female president argue the selection of women running in 2020 will fail to fulfill the needs of our country. Women have never taken lead in the White House, so who is to say they will be successful. Some feel a female president will put the U.S. at risk by putting their emotions first and making impulsive decisions.

“No one experiencing menopause should be making decisions,”  writer Michael Mcutchen from Mic.com said.

During her congressional campaign in Massachusetts, Rep. Ayanna Pressley shared her outlook on how she is viewed by the public by stating, “I’ll tell you the truth. As a woman of color who has a platform, I have been asked to not come off as outraged or angry for fear of being labeled an angry black woman.”

This is a prime example of how women are told how to look as non-threatening as possible when in reality, in order to succeed in such a high-stakes field, confidence and assertiveness is key.

“America as a whole is falling apart and a change is what we need. I think a woman president would be an ideal change,” Hoveland said.