Siegfried excels in stocks and socks

Senior+Justin+Siegfried+is+known+for+his+wacky+socks%2C+but+he+also+is+known+for+his+outstanding+success+in+the+2018+Stock+Market+Games.+Siegfried+placed+in+the+top+five+out+of+thousands+of+participants+state+wide.+

Siegfried excels in stocks and socks

Senior Justin Siegfried is known for his wacky socks, but he also is known for his outstanding success in the 2018 Stock Market Games. Siegfried placed in the top five out of thousands of participants state wide.

Photo by Chas Morgan

Photo by Chas Morgan

Photo by Chas Morgan

Chas Morgan, Layout Editor

Senior Justin Siegfried has excelled in the Stock Market Games and his Marketing class teacher Debbie Drommerhausen thinks highly of him. Siegfried is not only known for his success in the Stock Market Games, but also for the silly socks he wears. Siegfried only began doing the Stock Market Games last semester, but excelled quickly.

Siegfried reached a level of success few students in Minnesota receive. Out of thousands of people in the Stock Market Games, Siegfried and his partner Senior Claire Zdechlik were in the top 5 in the state.

“Many students do well but Justin was my top team during the fall semester. We then were invited to Travelers Building in St. Paul for a banquet. He and Claire Zdechlik were a team that was recognized for their 5th place finish in the state out of thousands of teams,” Drommerhausen said.

The Stock Market Games is mock stock market in which students receive $100,000 to buy and sell in stocks and the winner is determined by the most money earned at the end of two months. Thousands of participants from around Minnesota take part in this game and Siegfried finished in the top 5 in the state. The games tests students knowledge on the real life stock market and shows students how to buy and sell stocks.

“My favorite part of the Stock Market Games is the partnership we have with Allianz Life.  They provide speakers and the game registration fees.  Students also love the game because they are looking up companies to see if they have a stock and then investing in many companies.  The research part of the stock is always fascinating.  Students watch stock prices go up and down. They also learn to diversify their monies in different companies,” Drommerhausen said.

Siegfried started the Stock Market Games during first semester when he attended Drommerhausen’s marketing class. His older brother did the games and that is what inspired him to do it too.

“My brother actually went to high school here and he got super into it [The Stock Market Games]. And then when I joined Mrs. D’s class and she said she’s doing it, it got me excited,” Siegfried said about the reason he joined in the competition. 

My favorite part of the Stock Market Games is the partnership we have with Allianz Life.  They provide speakers and the game registration fees.  Students also love the game because they are looking up companies to see if they have a stock and then investing in many companies.  The research part of the stock is always fascinating.  Students watch stock prices go up and down. They also learn to diversify their monies in different companies.”

— Debbie Drommerhausen

Students who take Drommerhausen’s marketing class are the ones available to take part in this virtual stock market in both first and second semester. This two month virtual stock market challenge is not easy and requires skill and knowledge from the participants involved.

Drommerhausen has “had the BestPrep Minnesota Stock Market Game in my marketing classes for the past 15 years. We have had many winners throughout the years,” Drommerhausen saw something special in Siegfried though, and also noticed another cool quirk about him, his socks.

“I don’t like just the boring white Nike socks so my mom would always get cool socks for me to wear,” Siegfried said, laughing.

Siegfried is known among Stillwater students for having cool and funky socks and never fails to show them off. He started wearing them for lacrosse and the tradition just stuck. Siegfried, who owns about 20 pairs of fun socks really enjoyed the Stock Market Games and is excited about the success he achieved. The Stock Market Games truly tested his knowledge of the live stock market and the ever changing atmosphere of the business world.

“You can be in the thousandth place one day and 10th the next day, you never really know, it’s always changing,” Siegfried said.

The Stock Market Games takes place once in the fall, once in the spring and also offers a year round challenge from September to April. Students who take Drommerhausen’s marketing class next year have an opportunity to participate.

Chas Morgan, Layout Editor

Hi my name is Chas Morgan, I am a senior this year and I am the Spotlight Layout Editor! I am very interested in graphic design and I love photography....