Caskey breaks common stereotype by pursuing theatre and sports

Senior John Caskey and other theatre members get ready to rehearse for their next musical Les Misérables. The musical is set to be performed during April 5-13.

Photo by Toby Weiss

Toby Weiss, Camera Editor

Many students spend their free time participating in after school activities such as sports. Others chose more social activities like theatre or clubs. Typically, most students who participate in one tend to stray away from the other, but that is not always the case.

Senior John Caskey has been involved with theatre since his junior year when he first discovered his love for performing. He does not only have a love for performing, but he consistently pursues weight lifting. The first play Caskey tried out for was “Grease,” but since then he has acted in every play and musical that has been through the school.

Working on every play production comes with responsibility and good work ethic. Since joining theatre, Caskey has acted in every play, musical and one-act the school has had to offer.

As a leadership team member, he also helps make sure actors are being quiet and respectful during rehearsals. A lot of work needs to be put in to manage such tasks, but since Caskey has such a good work drive, that is no problem for him.

“John is one to buckle down and work super super hard, and really intensely. He has a really strong passionate drive for things and when you see that drive in him that’s how you know he’s gonna work hard,” senior Wyatt Ecker said about his experience working in theatre with Caskey.

I actually got a part with a solo, and I remember that first night on stage everything kind of froze, not out of stage fright, but the spotlight was down on me and I was about to sing my solo, and that was the moment I realized I wanted to do this for the rest of my life.”

— John Caskey

There is an extremely broad spectrum when it comes to people’s talents or passions. For some it may be horseback riding, for others it may be cars, but in this case, it is acting and performing. Many people discover what they love to do at a young age, and others find it later in life. Caskey discovered his passion for acting one year ago, but that does not change the fact that he wishes to pursue this career path for the rest of his life.

“I always thought about getting into it, but never made the step to do that, and then the summer before my junior year I finally decided “you know what, I’m just gonna do it,'” Caskey said about when he first discovered his love for acting and performing.

He added, “I actually got a part with a solo, and I remember that first night on stage everything kind of froze, not out of stage fright, but the spotlight was down on me and I was about to sing my solo, and that was the moment I realized I wanted to do this for the rest of my life.”

But what makes Caskey different, is that on top of all the musicals and plays he participates in, he also makes sure he has time for sports, more specifically, weightlifting. He is somewhat the stereotypical theatre kid, yet he is also passionate about sports. Some might think he would “beat up a nerd because he’s buff,” said Ecker.

“Acting or being a personal trainer, whatever he wants to do I can see him doing, mostly just because he’s so driven with everything he does,” Ecker added.

When it comes to managing schoolwork, theatre and physical activities, Caskey has got it all figured out. With a strong passion for acting and performing, Caskey plans to move to Los Angeles in the summer of 2020 in hopes of landing an acting gig, or possibly a job as a personal trainer. Both Ecker and junior Fayuma Felema said they can definitely see Caskey working in L.A. in roughly 10 years.

“John is most of the time the quiet reserved type, but he’s fun to work with and he puts a lot of effort into what he does. He has a good understanding of whatever he works on and I admire that part of him,” Felema said.

Toby Weiss, Camera Editor

Hello, my name is Toby Weiss, I'm in 11th grade and I am a camera editor. I am not currently in any club or activity, but a hobby of mine is filmmaking....