Puhrmann anything but ‘On Her Own’ as Éponine

Photo by Haley Nelson

Senior Molly Puhrmann will continue to practice and rehearse each day until Les Miserables opens in April. She does anything from vocals to blocking on stage, to preparing.

Haley Nelson, Online Editor

“I said okay Molly, you’re not a track star. You are not a basketball star. Go try out for the musical. You can do this…” Molly Puhrmann, senior and lead of the musical, told herself as she prepared for her audition in the school musical, Les Miserables.

Music, a large passion of Puhrmann’s, started seven years ago and has not diminished one bit.

“I’ve just always loved to sing and then hoped to perform,” Puhrmann said. Then added, while laughing, where it all started, “I was fifth grade choir at Afton-Lakeland Elementary.”

Auditioning

Going out and auditioning for a musical is not something that just anyone could do, making Puhrmann’s personality perfect for her role.

“She is very outgoing and she will talk to anybody and she’s a great singer,” Clare Roti, senior and good friend of Puhrmann’s, said, “That’s really good for her and she has a lot of confidence on the stage.”

Each person portrayed in the musical has different personalities and attitudes. For Puhrmann, there was one that spoke as a perfect fit to her, not only because of her personality, but also because of the voice range of the character.

“The character Éponine spoke to me. She’s an alto, but more of a mezzo, which helps because that’s what I am. I just love being theater and acting in portraying a role that I don’t get to live on a daily basis.” Puhrmann said.

The character Éponine spoke to me. She’s an alto, but more of a mezzo, which helps because that’s what I am. I just love being theater and acting in portraying a role that I don’t get to live on a daily basis.

— Molly Puhrmann

For the Love of Les Mis

It is always the right time to try something, especially if you have never done it before. Puhrmann decided to do just that, and for her it happened to be the perfect time with it being the last school play of her senior year and the play being put on happened to be one of Puhrmann’s favorites.

“She really loves Les Miserables and the whole production. And so I think this is one she really wanted to be a part of, especially the last one of her senior year,” Roti said. “I knew she thought it would be fun thing to do, particularly with all of her friends.” 

For Puhrmann, the memorizing, like for most people, is not the challenge. It is the time commitment that is required in and out of school. Just like a sport, practice makes perfect, making the hours put into the performance very long.

“We have like rehearse three hours every day after school and that can get really exhausting. It’s just like any sport, but it’s all worth it,” Puhrmann said

A Future in Music

Her involvement in the musical will not only benefit her now, but also in the future, specifically her career field. The skills she learns now will help her become more successful later.

“This will help her in the field that she wants to go into which is kind of like communications. So this will help her with her speaking in front of people and larger groups,” Roti said.

Auditioning for the play was something new for Puhrmann and she took a risk. She later was reflecting on her decision and journey so far, “…and I did and it’s been one of the greatest decisions of my high school,” Puhrmann said. 

Puhrmann and the rest of the members of the musical, Les Miserables, perform the first two weekend of April in the Auditorium. For more information about times look at the Stillwater website.