Filed under People

Bischoff makes heavy work lighter

Bischoff makes heavy work lighter

Chad Bischoff guides freshmen Caroline Monty through an exercise.

Chad Bischoff guides freshmen Caroline Monty through an exercise. "Chad is just an all around great guy, he wants to help you get stronger so he's always there to make sure you are doing the workouts right," junior AJ Schoenecker says.

Photo by Annika Brown

Photo by Annika Brown

Photo by Annika Brown

“He always motivates us to become better athletes by being so positive and encouraging,” junior AJ Schoenecker said.

Chad Bischoff is an important component of the school’s community. As a Stillwater alumni, recurring substitute, coach for the girls golf team and pony power, his positive personality makes him a favorite among students.

Bischoff taught history at Stillwater Junior High for three years before he became a full-time coach. He spends 12 to 14 hours a day in school guiding kids mentally and physically.

“I’m usually up here substituting, then personal training before I teach pony power for three-quarters of the year otherwise I am coaching golf,” Bischoff said. “Then I coach more at night and try to work out myself. It’s a pretty long day.”

Love for golf

As a member of the high school golf team, Bischoff earned a scholarship to attend Winona State and play for the university. Currently he is the assistant coach for the high school’s girls golf team.

“When you are on the course, Chad always knows how to cheer you up if you are having a bad round,” sophomore  Savannah Vincent said. “He always tells us to be the ball and that has kind of become our team motto.”

During practice Bischoff helps players with their putting and their swings on the driving range. The passion he has for golf makes for a great coach for the girls.

“I’ve always loved the sport and I think sharing that knowledge and love of golf makes the girls better players,” Bischoff said.

When you are on the course, Chad always knows how to cheer you up if you are having a bad round, he always tells us to be the ball and that has kind of become our team motto.”

— Savannah Vincent

A joy for coaching

For most of the school year and the summer, Bischoff is often at the Pony Activities Center coaching students and adults. He teaches anything from personal training or small group classes to a large number of student athletes in pony power.

“It’s cool to see his passion in the weight room and that he really wants us to become stronger and healthier,” Schoenecker said. “He’s a funny guy and makes weight lifting fun.”

He loves to teach high school students and is passionate about living a healthy and active lifestyle. Through coaching athletes he combines his personal interests with a job.

“It’s fun to mentor kids into becoming stronger and more successful athletes in whatever sport they play,” Bischoff said.

However, he does not see himself coaching as a full-time job forever. Eventually he would like to go into sports equipment sales.

“I would want to do something that is a bit more lucrative,” Bischoff said. “Eventually I would like to start a family, and then retire so I will need to become an adult and find a real job.”

It is easy to see that Bischoff has made a mark of many student’s lives. He brings heart and soul to his job every day. Besides teaching  technical skills for golf and weight lifting he also teaches life long skills that his students can carry with them.

“He helps me every day at practice become a better player,” Vincent said. “He is always cheerful and never negative which is something I think we could all learn how to be.” 

Annika Brown, Business Editor

My name is Annika Brown, and I am a junior. I am a business editor for the Pony Express. I play on the Stillwater girls golf team. I enjoy traveling, and...