First Student Council presidents of color help increase their peers’ voices

Student council presidents, seniors Abdulaziz and Nikhil Kumaran represent student voices in the board meeting about the Brookview expansion.

Photo by Paige Sanders

Ashlynn O'Connor, Social Media Editor

Senior best friends Abdulaziz Mohamed and Nikhil Kumaran are known as the first student council presidents of color. These young men are known to have done a remarkable job leading the student council. They both want to make a difference for their peers.

They lead the council with party planning, dances, pep fest and carnivals. They were also given the opportunity to partake in the school board meetings. The boys were given the job as liaison between the board and the students to share their thoughts from both sides.

“Almost all the issues of the school board pertains to the students in some way, shape, or form. When students speak, the board members are more attentive than when they don’t speak. Student voice is important and that importance grows when there is more students there to amplify that voice. Their opinions matter no matter what, but will be taken to higher account if they showed attentiveness to the actual issues that pertain to them,” Mohamed said.

Being student council presidents of color, they really reached out to the minority population in the school. Both Mohammed and Kumaran want all students to succeed. The young men want to help motivate other students to reach their best potential.

Recently Mohamed and Kumaran sat in on board meetings discussing the Brookview expansion. The board discussed about how Brookview has met its capacity of students. The board was trying to decide on whether expand on Brookview’s elementary size. It branded into topics ranging from price of the expansion, the space allocated to renovate, and the communities it would affect.

I personally believe that the board is doing what they can to help students given the condition they’re in. Abdul and I strive towards increasing Pony Pride and turning student council into more than just a “party planning committee”. We both wish to voice students opinions and concerns whenever they arise and plan on continuing to do so.

— Nikhil Kumaran

“I think when you have the opportunity to expand the school when you have an increasing population, you take that opportunity every time, no matter the repercussions. This was bigger than the deficit, it was a way to show you are willing to prioritize student needs over all else,” Mohamed said.

The board voted 4-3, and are now going through with the expansion. Mohamed and Kumaran both believe the school board made the right decision. They believe the board wanted to do what was best for the students and that is what they want for their peers as well.

Student voice is an integral part of the decisions that are made on the board and having students representatives on with the board is very crucial to getting the consensus.

“I personally believe that the board is doing what they can to help students given the condition they’re in. Abdul and I strive towards increasing Pony Pride and turning student council into more than just a “party planning committee”. We both wish to voice students opinions and concerns whenever they arise and plan on continuing to do so,” Kumaran said.

Mohamed and Kumaran have proved to people they want to do an unbelievable job leading the student council and their peers. They want to build a legacy and help their peers voiced be heard, instead of just planning a party.