John Kelly finally resigns as White House Chief of Staff

January 18, 2019

Kelly worked as the Secretary of Homeland Security for half a year.  He was appointed Chief of Staff within his last few days of Secretary of Homeland Security.

Creative Commons through Flickr

Kelly worked as the Secretary of Homeland Security for half a year. He was appointed Chief of Staff within his last few days of Secretary of Homeland Security.

Former Chief of Staff John Kelly was supposed to bring stability to the White House when he replaced Reince Priebus as the White House Chief of Staff. Kelly has resigned and is leaving Mick Mulvaney to deal with his mess.

Kelly was known for his hard stance on immigration policies. He was a strong advocate against illegal immigration and undocumented immigrants. Though he was harsh, he was still more rational than the President. He was sensible in the fact that he did not generalize the immigrants, but still believed in security.

Kelly stated that not all undocumented immigrants are bad people, but also, “not people that would easily assimilate into the United States into our modern society.”

Illegal immigration control did get out of harsh and out of control while under Kelly’s leadership, even with his apparent empathy for immigrants. U.S. Immigration authorities had separated children from their parents. This issue caught a lot of media attention and sparked chaos on social media.

It occurred because of Attorney General Jeff Sessions had instituted the zero-tolerance policy at the border. According to Kelly, even the White House did not see this policy coming. Sessions was later fired from his role as Attorney General.

None of these people have been confirmed. I mean there are people around Trump right now and none of them had been officially confirmed.”

— Michael Kaul

In an interview with the LA Times Kelly said, “he [Sessions] surprised us.”

When Kelly was first assigned the role of Chief of Staff, he began to try and bring order to the White House. The day Kelly took office Anthony Scaramucci was fired, which was only Scaramucci’s tenth day as communications director. Kelly fired Scaramucci because Scaramucci was bragging about being able to skip reporting to the Chief of Staff and instead talk directly to the President. Less than a month later, he removed Steve Bannon from his role as White House Chief Strategist, by request of Donald Trump.

“I think some of the things he tried to impose made people angry and that they undermined him,” Law and Government teacher Michael Kaul said.

Replacing the Chief of Staff is not abnormal with presidents and Obama had five throughout his two terms. The abnormal amount of White House staff being replaced with someone who is not sworn in, is a little unusual.

“None of these people have been confirmed. I mean there are people around Trump right now and none of them had been officially confirmed,” Kaul said.

A lesson is to be learned from Kelly  and that is that working under Trump’s presidency is chaotic and not easy. Hopefully the next Chief of Staff, Mick Mulvaney, will bring stability to the White House, because Kelly certainly did not. Seeing as the government is currently shutdown, he has some work to do.