Patterson shows musical talent in many areas

Ben Wrightsman, Video Editor

As students pass through their educational path, many tried wide variety of musical instruments. Maybe it is a trumpet, a guitar, or a pair of drumsticks. Music is one of the shining stars of the Stillwater Area High School curriculum. Throughout the years, the Stillwater music community continues to earn first place awards in most state and national competitions.

One of these students, sophomore Sherylin Patterson, has exemplified these specific traits as she becomes one of the most diverse musicians in the program. Patterson plays five different instruments in a variety of bands. At any moment she may pick up a piccolo, flute, oboe, English horn or a saxophone to add to the sound of the music.

Patterson began playing the flute in sixth grade. Throughout the years, Patterson has enjoyed the camaraderie and challenge of the Stillwater music program.

“I just love meeting all of the different people. And I just love being able to just learn all of the different instruments. And I love playing all of these different, amazing songs,” Patterson said.

Fellow student senior Everett Martin plays in the Concert Wind Symphony and the top Jazz Band in the Stillwater music program alongside Patterson.

“I can’t understand how she is so good. It is amazing to play with her and hear how she is good at all of the instruments that she plays,” Everett said.

Band director of 18 years Dennis Lindsay expresses how much love he has, not only for the program but for the students’ musical passion.

“It’s fun to watch them catch fire that first time when they figure out, ‘I can do this! And, I can do this well!'” Lindsay added, “It’s just fun to watch. I have always enjoyed doing this.”

It’s not really about music, it is more about enjoying your school life. It’s about building an appreciation for the arts and the value for the beauty in life and being able to just slow down long enough to actually see it.

— Dennis Lindsay

“I feel like everyone is really supportive of one another and I get to talk to people I don’t normally get to talk to. And everyone’s really open, especially because there is such a wide range of ages,” Patterson agreed.

The Stillwater music program spans fifth through twelfth grade and is known as the first school music program in the state of Minnesota. Exceptional musical students are also invited to join the Minnesota Youth Symphony (MYS).

Patterson said, “I feel like it really challenges me more so than in a band, just because people in MYS  are really committed and they work a lot outside of school.”

Not only is the Stillwater music program the oldest in the state, but it also has many various opportunities for successful music careers outside of the school program. Programs such as MYS, which Patterson is proud to be a participant of, encourages students to strive for their best academic and musical goals.

“It’s not really about music, it is more about enjoying your school life. It’s about building an appreciation for the arts and the value for the beauty in life and being able to just slow down long enough to actually see it,” Lindsay said.

During his tenure as Stillwater Band Director, Lindsay has formed relationships with many of his students.

“Mr. Lindsay is one of my favorite teachers ever. He is able to try really hard to get to know the students and they are really good at going above and beyond their jobs,” Patterson said.

The sound of music continues in the halls of Stillwater schools as Patterson continues to improve her musical abilities in the upcoming years. Lindsay is both hopeful and proud of Patterson’s success and is excited for what the future holds for her.

“She is really a super cool person. She’s a really nice human and musician,” Lindsay explained.