Filed under In-Depth, Trending Now

UK votes to break up Brexit

UK votes to break up Brexit

A group of Brexit protesters march down the street in the city of Belfast on Oct. 8, 2015. Many people are displeased with the results of Brexit.

Creative Commons image through Flickr by Sinn Fein (https://tinyurl.com/y7bd45z7)

Rows of seats line the room from top to bottom. Hundreds of eyes are pointing towards a single figure in the front of the room. Short, grayed hair lines their face filled with looks of worry and deceit. Theresa May, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, begins to speak and announces that Brexit will be postponed until early 2019. Her colleagues throw words of hate and disgust towards her position. Brexit is on the brink of breaking.

The United Kingdom has been trying to break away from the European Union (EU) for the past couple of years due to political turmoil, and is finally getting to the point where it might have a 50-50 chance of actually happening. Theresa May has been working with her colleagues such as Jeremy Corbyn to try and move away from all of the political pressure that has been put on the United Kingdom and its citizens.

One of the main reasons that the United Kingdom wants to break away from the EU is that the British government is being forced to take in a certain amount of refugees if there are certain events ongoing such as the Syrian refugee crisis. A majority of the population felt that the EU was putting too much pressure onto their nation, and decided that they had enough, but now many are having second thoughts.

“Another popular explanation for the mass support for Leave is that it was a protest by those who are inherently uncomfortable with the social changes in Britain in recent decades, particularly with immigration,” said Ben Chu, writer for Independent.

I don’t think that the United Kingdom knows what the impact is beyond their currency. Obviously the projections are that this will damage English exports.”

— Roger Stippel

The United States is one the biggest trade partners with the United Kingdom. One of the main imports that America takes in from the British isles is petroleum gas, and if Brexit were to go through and trade declines, gas prices could go up due to lack of availability throughout the U.S. Of course this is not a confirmed consequence, but it is definitely a possibility.

“I don’t think that the United Kingdom knows what the impact is beyond their currency. Obviously the projections are that this will damage English exports,” AP US Government and Politics teacher Roger Stippel said.

Many British citizens do not feel united in their little kingdom. Due to the large amount of pressure put onto the British government by the EU, many people feel that they are being pushed around and cannot make decisions for themselves. Now that the British government is pushing around their own civilians, many have started losing hope.

“The voters chose Theresa May to deliver Brexit, and it is she who has to take responsibility for the catastrophe that’s unfolded,” Paul Mason said, a writer for The Guardian.

The United Kingdom is in a very tough spot. Divided in between the people and their own personal gains, the government is torn whether or not to leave the safety of the EU. If Britain decides to go through with Brexit, they may be remembered for one of the most detrimental decisions of all time.

Gavan Townsend, Camera Editor

Hi! My name is Gavan Townsend, and I'm a junior. I'm a camera editor for the Pony Express. I like to draw and drive around in my free time. I love hanging...