The only thing to hate is hate itself

Q.C. Ho, Editorial Cartoonist

Creative Commons through Wikimedia 
A German synagogue is left to burn and no firefighters will come to put out the flames. Nov. 1938, similar attacks are being carried out across Germany on the night known as Kristallnacht. Last October the shooting of a synagogue in Pittsburgh shows that antisemitism is still present despite the defeat of Nazi Germany.

Late October, America watched as news of bomb threats to prominent Democrats and the shooting of a synagogue showed horrors we did not expect from Halloween. The antisemitism and hate Americans fought against in World War II has now resurfaced in our own country. We the people have a duty to stop hate in its tracks before it consumes America.

Political rhetoric from politicians including Trump exploit the fears of many Americans. His “America First” policy encouraged an “Us versus them” mentality dividing Americans by race, religion and political party. Jews in particular have been singled out and attacked by white supremacists, neo-nazis and other extreme nationalist groups. This was seen last month with the Tree of Life Synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, and the Unite the Right Rally held in Charleston North Carolina last year. There, marchers chanted, “You will not replace us. Jews will not replace us.”

There is no doubt that fear and hatred is present. Government teacher Jerry Washburn said that the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting “was so clearly a hate crime, that scares me. I’m concerned that as a society, we go there.”

If society creates the environment to cause an atrocity, society has the ability to prevent such in the future.

Americans are slowly becoming desensitized to these acts of violence. Junior Katrina Martin said her first thought when she heard about the Pittsburgh shooting was, “Oh, another shooting.” commented sarcastically, “Can’t believe this happened in a country where this regularly happens.”

It is concerning that we are slowly becoming indifferent to the shootings and hatred that is proliferating in our country. Early Nov. the FBI reported that hate crimes in America had increased 17 percent from 2016 to 2017.

People have the ability to change this. Discrimination against African Americans was normalized until leaders like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. decided things needed to change. The civil rights movement of the 1950’s and 1960’s greatly reduced discrimination against blacks.

People chose to make a change back then, to disagree with the hate and discrimination that was prevalent. If Dr. King could do it back then, we can do it today.

How we feel about these issues is reflected in the people we elect. Washburn said that President Trump has had “Plenty of opportunities to change the way he confronts these issues.”

If Trump toned down his rhetoric, the amount of divisiveness and hate that appears would be lower.

Despite our obligation to oppose hate and prevent discriminatory violence, it is impossible to stop all evils in America. All Americans have freedom of speech, therefore all Americans have freedom to hate and discriminate. It would be morally wrong to force opinions onto every one, America is not a totalitarian state.

However if society has the capacity to learn acceptance and tolerance of others. Our freedom of speech allows us to fight against hate, to teach future generations not to hate.

Social media has a powerful role in this challenge. Over social media, extreme views of hate and discrimination can fester in isolated pockets and spread like wildfire.

Social media can also be used to spread messages of acceptance. Just as cigarette advertisements were countered with anti-smoking advertisements, hateful media can and should be countered with positive media.

Not stopping a bully does not make someone a bad person. However by doing so they enable the bully to continue. That is the same with hatred and discrimination of today. We have the ability to end all forms of hate within America, and the world. Anne Frank recognized that writing, “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”

6 Responses to “The only thing to hate is hate itself”

1. Benjamin Wrightsman on December 21st, 2018 9:13 am

One of my favorite parts of this article is how the author gave us some historical information on the topic before diving deep into the facts and quotes. My favorite quote from the article is “You will not replace us. Jews will not replace us.” because it shows the position of the speaker as well as context to the story

2. Cady Solberg on December 21st, 2018 9:17 am

I was drawn to this article because it was about a serious topic but the title didn’t make it sound as serious as it is. I like how the quotes are expressed properly so you could tell it’s sarcasm right after you read the quote. Also I like how it recognizes that schools shooting have become so desensitized that if it didn’t happen to you, you just brush it off like it’s another day.

3. Kyra O'Loughlin on January 3rd, 2019 7:55 am

This article got my attention with the title. I think your choice to interview a teacher and a student was a smart one, getting quotes from regular Americans just like everyone else. I liked that you ended on the very strong quote. The FBI statistic about hate crimes was staggering and really added to your article.

4. Grant Erickson on January 4th, 2019 8:28 am

A fact check might be needed with this article, World War 2 was the war plagued by antisemitism, not World War 1. I showed Katrina this article, and she wasn’t super happy that you used her sarcastic quote instead of a serious one, as it made her sound indifferent to shootings. The article has good intentions, but might need some revisions.

5. Mason Lacy on January 4th, 2019 6:06 pm

I do enjoy the usage of the sarcastic quote. With context, it’s obviously a very serious article, but that brings some light with humor, and then adding in the context, it reminds you that there is really a lot of this going on, and then it gives you the idea that it really is on it’s way to becoming a “normal” thing, and it makes you think again.

6. Zachary Johnson on January 7th, 2019 8:24 am

Overall great work on this article Q. C! You wrote a very good intro to this article and followed it up with a strong article, keep it up!

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Myth Live unfit for prom

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Three school board members exemplify the bystander effect in private Facebook group

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

ACT budget cuts should not impact student’s educational opportunities

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Students ‘pee’ved over new bathroom security policy

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Tuition free college sparks interest among Americans

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Recent Trump investigation raises many questions

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Editor-in-Chief Column

EIC Column: Palestinians aim to have their voices heard

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

President intends to build a wall, a wise move

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Green New Deal is vital to the country’s reputation as a respectable nation

• The only thing to hate is hate itself

Trump administration reinstitutes gender based discrimination

The only thing to hate is hate itself