Luke VandenBergh receives ROTC scholarship

Malaina Fragnito, Student Playlist Reporter

Numerous scholarships are available for people after high school graduation to continue their education. Senior Luke VandenBergh received a scholarship he has always dreamed of, for the Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps [ROTC].

By completing a three step process which includes physical examination, assessment of leadership qualities and scholarly achievements and qualifications, Luke outweighed his competitors with his achievements and was awarded this scholarship.

Becoming a member of the Army is not an overnight decision. For many, including VandenBergh, it is something they want to achieve their whole life.

“Ever since I was young I’ve looked up to my father who has inspired me to want to serve our nation and protect the freedoms we have. I saw how great of a leader he was and I wanted to be like my father. I saw how great of a leader the military made him,” VandenBerg said.

VandenBerg’s father, LTC William J. VandenBergh, graduated from SAHS in 1986 and then went on to attend school at the University of Minnesota. In 1990 he became an Army Officer. Luke is following his father’s footsteps closely by attending the University of Minnesota and launching his career into the Army from there.

“It is very humbling. I am enormously proud of Luke’s accomplishments in life. Whether academic, sports or as an Eagle Scout, Luke is achieving and performing at a much higher level than I did,” William said.

Another way Luke is like his father is they both are Eagle Scouts. Ever since Luke joined Cub Scouts, his father was his leader all the way through Boy Scouts until Luke recently aged out.

“One of my goals as a parent was to produce a child who would become an adult and contribute to society in a positive manner… I was able to use my background in Scouting, I am an Eagle Scout also, and combine that with my military background enabling me to mentor Luke from his earliest days. This created a bond of trust and respect between the two of us,” William said.

Having this father-son bond played a critical role in Luke receiving this ROTC scholarship. The previous experience his father has helped Luke prepare for this moment.

“What made me qualified [for the scholarship] was the point system used. One was an in person interview with a military person. Before you would get to the interview you had to do the fitness tests. You upload all of your awards and past achievements and letters of recommendation,” Luke said.

For Luke’s letter of recommendation, he received a letter from a Four Star Army General. Luke and his father both acknowledged the key role this letter played in Luke receiving this scholarship.

“On my last deployment to Afghanistan (2016-2017), I worked directly for general John W. Nicholson Jr., the Commander of all US forces in Afghanistan. He was impressed with Luke’s accomplishments and provided a Letter of Recommendation… When a Four Star General recommends “something”, it happens,” William said.

Planning for the future is critical for everyone, but is more critical for someone going into the military. This is because you can choose to serve for a short time or to serve for your whole career. Luke’s dad chose the latter of the two options and is retiring July 1 after 28 years of service. After graduating from the Gopher Battalion, Luke plans on making serving in the Army into his career as well.

“I either want to fly helicopters (aviation) or go into military intelligence. There’s time requirement of eight years with the scholarship, but I’m planning on making my career at least 20 years,” Luke said.

Luke admires his father immensely and through his father’s words it is obvious that admiration is mutual.

“Luke is an amazing man. I listen to his young voice and realize what a great future he will have as an Officer of the United States Army,” William said.