Filed under News

District drafts strategic plan: Profile of a Graduate

Alternative Copy Story by Will Gleason

Shaping curriculum is one of the most important jobs of teachers and school administrators. Profile of a Graduate is a new venture being taken on by the district to come up with ways to ensure the success of students after high school.

The project came about in December of 2017. The goal of the project is to create a list of skills that students should have to be successful after high school, into college, and after college. Current students as well as students who have graduated from Stillwater have been putting their input into the project as a way for administrators to learn from students.

“This really was a way of us really trying to pay attention to what are those skills that are really going to be needed, what is it that kids really need today to go out into the world, to find a job, compete for a job, do what they want and be happy but still make a livable wage while doing that,” said Principal Rob Bach said.

A lot of times schools concentrate on learning and instruction, so we concentrate on your reading, writing, arithmetic kinds of things and those are the standard things you’ve focused on for an awful long time.”

— Rob Bach

Students and teachers alike are working with this project to create the best possible outcomes for Stillwater students. “A lot of times schools concentrate on learning and instruction, so we concentrate on your reading, writing, arithmetic kinds of things and those are the standard things you’ve focused on for an awful long time. Now what we’re starting to talk about is: what is it that kids really need to be able to do,” Bach said.

Students who have participated in the discussions so far have said: Students need to learn life skills, students need more time to take electives, critical thinking and verbal/written communication are some of the most important skills of a student. Other things students should have are a strong work ethic, the ability to work in a team and accountability.
Students also said that there should be more options for kids who may not want to go to college.

Over 2000 people have put their input into the project through Thoughtexchange and around 50 people have shared their thoughts on the project. In its entirety, the goal of the project is to have 21 percent of districts in the US using the program by 2021.

There are several schools and districts starting this project too, however every school is different, “Other schools are probably asking similar questions already so, other schools will have other models… what we come up with is something unique for Stillwater because we have to serve our community, not just what the world’s perception of students should be,” Bach said.

Changes will be put in place starting at the end of this school year as the district is due for a new strategic plan. There is much to be decided yet, however hopes are high.

“My hopes are that we have a clear picture, after working with our community, to figure out what [skills of a successful graduate] really looks like, and that we develop a really good plan… I hope that this project leads to something concrete in terms of something new for Stillwater High school, a change in how we do business that is better than our current model,” Bach said.

Kate Poor, Distribution Reporter
Kate Poor is a junior and a Distribution Reporter for the Pony Express. She writes in the News and Activities department. Kate runs Cross Country and enjoys snowboarding in the winter. A fun fact about herself is that she likes to travel and has been to almost every state in the US.

4 Responses to “District drafts strategic plan: Profile of a Graduate”

1. Jack Seipel on February 22nd, 2018 9:07 pm

This story was very informational, and it showed a very clear cut idea that comes from administration of how they see students as they further themselves past high school. The quote fact paragraphs flowed well, as well as the numerical information given. This article also shows a good indepth idea of Bach’s reasoning for the things that he does, gives an idea what goes through his mind that many students wonder about

2. Mikayla Cousineau on March 5th, 2018 6:53 pm

This article does a great job of getting straight to the point and breaking down this big project into smaller, more understandable aspects. The embedded links were a great resource for readers to get a better understanding of the project’s goals. I enjoyed that the layout of the alt copy was unique to the typical solid background, and it enhanced the theme of learning. Great work!

3. Michael VanLieshout on March 13th, 2018 7:56 am

I love that alt. copy story. Well done. I really like the way it is laid out.

4. Emma Lowey on March 13th, 2018 8:04 am

I really enjoyed the Alt-copy that was made with this. It summarized the information in the story and presented it in a nice design. Very well done.

• District drafts strategic plan: Profile of a Graduate

Football field movie night brings students together

Featured Videos

First ever girls ultimate frisbee team emerges

School experiments with after school A La Carte option

“Wait, are you the Rock girl?” Katie Kelzenberg’s promposal garners big attention

Jumping into spring with ninth, tenth grade formal

April 20 walkout marks 19 year anniversary of Columbine

Prom committee plans for a night in the roaring twenties

Remembering Parkland victims with walkout, demanding safety

School Board postpones discussion on school start times

WALKOUT: SAHS walks out to remember Parkland victims