Filed under Editorial, EIC Column

EIC Column: ALC part of school community

The St. Croix Valley Area Learning Center (ALC) has been moved to the high school campus this year. With each school running on different time schedules, a complete change in building size and environment, ALC students are adjusting to the new environment. Having the two separate student bodies within the high school come together as a community will benefit all students.

The ALC is an alternative schooling opportunity for students who have struggled with a more traditional high school program. In previous years they had a separate building space to work in with the privacy and space needed for their program.

The ALC provides students a place to continue to learn without the large environment of the high school and a more one-on-one experience with the staff. Principal Mary Leadem Ticiu and all of the other staff members have done an excellent job of keeping this family of students together.

Even with a supportive staff, the students still have new obstacles to overcome with the new learning facilities for them. Adjusting to the size difference and amount of noise is no small task. With support from the high school’s student body it would ease many of theses issues.

“The high school barely gave any space for the ALC to function properly and not many students know that the ALC even exists. That makes it difficult during passing times for the regular high school because our classrooms are pretty small and a lot of the ALC students move between classrooms during the day to complete classes,” Josephina Van Dusart, a current student at the ALC, said.

With so many new changes this year, students and staff can be more aware for the ALC program, their spaces, and welcome them into the school community.

Hailey Willius, Online Editor In Chief

Hailey Willius is a senior and an Online Editor-in-Chief for the Pony Express. She travels abroad to work at an animal rescue center and loves camping...

2 Responses to “EIC Column: ALC part of school community”

1. Paxton Watson on March 11th, 2018 11:51 am

This article was really well written. I learned a lot about the ALC and I think this article did a good job of bringing some light to a very vague issue in our school. I thought the quotes were very long and used very well. They really complimented the article well. Good job!

2. Emma Lowey on March 13th, 2018 8:03 am

This article is refreshing to read because it is more positive than a lot of other editorials. The quotes are well selected and the people you interviewed seem to have a in-depth level of knowledge. Well Done.

• EIC Column: ALC part of school community

Mental health courses spread awareness

John Kelly finally resigns as White House Chief of Staff

EIC Column

EIC Column: vaping epidemic overshadows drug problem

ACT should be an imbedded part of curriculum instruction

Political Opinion

‘Thank U, Next’ by Ariana Grande promotes self love

Political Opinion

Fundraising for fundamentals teaches skills for life

Political Opinion

Hoodies spark dress code controversy, policy necessary

Voter-approved levy required after $2.5 million deficit

The only thing to hate is hate itself

Political Opinion

Cooks of Crocus Hill welcomes community