One Act troupe brings life to ‘Metamorphoses’

Ellie Faeth, Editor-in-Chief

After advancing to the sub-sections last year, the One Act troupe is back again to make it even farther in the competition this year. Directed by Grif Sadow, this talented cast will perform scenes from “Metamorphoses,” by Mary Zimmerman, a play based on classical Greek and Roman mythology.

The play has no significant main characters, as it focuses on five different couples, mainly lovers, in the many different myths that the original story portrays.

Competing is when I get the most anxious. Not only are you getting judged by judge, but you’re also being judged by other people your age from different school districts so you’re representing your theater department at these competitions.”

— Matthew Lamers

“[Metamorphoses is] typically done in an actual pool of water so we are trying to create that feeling without water. We’re just experimenting with how to use fabric and movement,” Sadow said.

Although Metamorphoses is full play, the cast only has 35 minutes to perform it, plus 10 minutes to put up and take down the set, therefore, the troupe can only perform specific scenes from the play.

“There really is no lead. There are five groups of couples. You could say there are ten leads in this one act. The five couples are Orpheus and Eurydice, Alcyone and Ceyx, Eros and Psyche, Philemon and Baucis, and Midas and his daughter. Basically everyone has a lead in the show. Otherwise you play a lot of ensemble parts and there are still a lot of parts that have to be to-be-determined,” junior Matthew Lamers, backstage technician and cast member, said.

Luckily for most of the drama club members, everyone plays a significant role. The story will display the pairs in small fragments throughout the entire play time, however, it will begin and end with the pair of Midas and his daughter. The rest of the pairs are lovers and their stories are told by a narrator.

“Competing is when I get the most anxious. Not only are you getting judged by judge, but you’re also being judged by other people your age from different school districts so you’re representing your theater department at these competitions,” Lamers said.

Last year, Stillwater hosted the sections – which they were a part of. They placed third in the second round of sections, nearly making it to the finals.

While the competition begins at the end of January, they have quite a bit of work to do. Nevertheless, the troupe is very excited to compete this year. While the staging may be difficult and the set very elaborate, the show will be successful, no matter how they place in the competition.

“Metamorphoses is all about transformation, so there’s all this theater magic we’ll have to create,” Sadow said.

Ellie Faeth, Editor in Chief

Ellie Faeth is a senior and a Print Editor-in-Chief of the Pony Express Newspaper. She enjoys writing, watching​ movies and singing in Belle Chanter...

2 Responses to “One Act troupe brings life to ‘Metamorphoses’”

1. Luke Dickinson on January 18th, 2018 10:21 am

This article provides a lot of good background information and the quotes are amazing. Overall a very good job!

2. Andrew Phan on March 8th, 2018 9:32 am

This article brings light to a great team that doesn’t get the spotlight often. The article could’ve used a picture of the one act. The article uses good quotes from members of the team.

• One Act troupe brings life to ‘Metamorphoses’

New drama ‘Breakthrough’ utilizes faith to recreate a tragic, but heartwarming story

New Samsung phone throws consumers for a bend

Sara’s Tipsy Pies opens new location by Chilkoot Cafe

Ashland Productions strives for stars, empowers youth

Billie Eilish drops new album after quick rise to fame

‘Captain Marvel’: a safe step forward for heroines

Jonas Brothers make a comeback with new single ‘Sucker’

‘Animal Farm’ cast soon will take one act competition by storm

Ellen’s stand-up ‘Relatable’ premiers on Netflix

‘Becoming’ by Michelle Obama, a memoir written by a woman America does not yet deserve