Legalizing marijuana, smart and strategic

Paxton Watson, Podcast Reporter

The legalization of marijuana has been an increasingly talked about topic in the United States. In fact, 29 states currently have laws encouraging the legalization of marijuana. Therefore, marijuana should be legalized in the United States.

Alternative Copy by Max Kennedy

Marijuana was first recreationally used in the early 1900’s. It was then made illegal in 1931. However, many people continued to explore the drug and usage rates were at an all time high in the 1970’s. This spike, was followed by the first legalization of marijuana by the state of California in 1996. This has since been followed by various states. Currently, for the first time ever, more people report supporting legalizing marijuana than not. 

“I think around 60-70 percent of students at our school have smoked marijuana more than once,” freshman Sydney Rogness said. In reality, 11 percent of 8th graders, 28 percent of sophomores, and 36 percent of seniors have reported smoking marijuana, according to PBS.  

The prevalence of marijuana is obviously clear. It is slowly becoming more common. By legalizing it we could have a more controlled system. Companies and the government could monitor and control who is able to access and use the drug, much like how alcohol is regulated in the United States.

Should marijuana be legalized in Minnesota?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“More students and people would start smoking marijuana if it was made legal in the United States,” Rogness said. However, according to scpr.org, the legalization of marijuana would not directly affect the percentage of people who smoke.

If marijuana becomes legal in the United States, fewer people will use marijuana. The reason people find themselves participating in these activities is generally because it is seen as exciting and dangerous to do something illegal. Therefore, making it legal would help diminish usage among our population, which would mean fewer arrests and less tax payers money going toward jails, to house inmates for petty crimes, such as possession of marijuana.

“Marijuana being legalized would decrease drug related violence in gangs,” community member Chris Zufall said. Experts from the Canadian Press stated that legalizing marijuana would cut gang violence.

In general, gangs are constantly fighting over drugs. By legalizing one of the most popular drugs in the world, our country could help fight and diminish gang violence. Decreasing violence is always a good thing and could help improve the lives of many, including young children wrapped up in the gang and drug world.

Legalizing marijuana in the United States would be a smart and strategic decision for our government.

Paxton Watson, Podcast Reporter

Paxton Watson is a junior, her staff job is a Podcast Reporter and is also on the swim team. She writes for the Editorial and Opinion departments and enjoys...

6 Responses to “Legalizing marijuana, smart and strategic”

1. Linnea Phillips on December 17th, 2017 8:34 pm

The poll adds a great sort of interactivity. Your opinion on the matter is clearly and respectfully stated, and you address the opposition in a good concession. Overall good job.

2. Grant Hietpas on December 17th, 2017 10:11 pm

I’m a huge fan of this article. For the longest time I thought weed should be illegal, but this article really coherently shows the reasons why I changed my mind. Well done!

3. Rose Deziel on December 18th, 2017 12:17 am

Your sources were credible and unbiased, which made your position on the issue stronger. Also, I liked how you used quotes to show the other side, but then you would back up your opinion with facts and statistics. The poll was a nice touch. Also, I thought it was cool how you included a community member’s opinion. I would just suggest that next time you add a community member’s quote, explain their connection with the topic.

4. Morgan Grim on December 18th, 2017 4:11 am

I thought this article was very well researched and was filled with good facts and reasoning. I think the graphic was very creative and a nice touch with the article. I like the interactive poll, it makes the reader more engaged and sucks them in. I really like the layout of the article. Very interesting and eye catching. Overall, good job.

5. Lilly Sample on December 18th, 2017 7:38 pm

Your article brings forward a lot of valid points, and it remains serious and factual. Though I’m not sure legalizing marijuana would decrease use, it would allow for the elimination of some petty crimes, like you stated. The reason marijuana became illegal has a lot of racist ties, and it would’ve been cool to address that. Good job!

6. Luke Dickinson on December 18th, 2017 11:59 pm

This Article is a very persuasive. I really liked how they included the history of the drug and the statistics right now in the present, you can tell this writer put alot of research into this topic.

• Legalizing marijuana, smart and strategic

Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation sparks uproar of support for Christine Blasey Ford

President Trump shuffles his cabinet

Podcasts

High school tattoos become more widespread

Despite growing opposition, FCC passes repeal of Net Neutrality

Flex time activities keep students engaged

Staff Editorial: Photoshop affects body image

Podcasts

Underclassmen take over boys hockey team

Ness redefines living with Cystic Fibrosis

Student Life

Debate team focuses on winning season

Grading policies varies, consistency encouraged