Girls lacrosse looking to replicate last season

Loren Nelson of MN Volleyball Hub

Coach Rick Reidt is standing on the sidelines, watching as his team is playing. His ability to pay attention and catch his team’s errors has earned him his role in the team. “He’s a fantastic coach, both for me and for the team. I don’t think many people could pull it off the way he does,” Haffner says.

With spring starting up, the girls lacrosse team had their first couple of weeks and the JV and varsity teams are already looking to keep up their track record from last season.

Although the girls lacrosse team has always been a consistent team in rankings, the varsity team had an impressive run last year, coming in at second in the whole state in rankings.

“We went 17-2 during our season and we ended up getting 3rd at state last season,” head coach Rick Reidt said. “We had a great team last year. It all went down fantastically.”

“I had a ton of fun last season,” junior Lucy Bischoff said. “I was able to end the whole season off by playing at state with a really tight-knit and great team.”

There is one thing that the team is really having to focus on if they hope to do anywhere nearly as well as they did last season. The team is challenged with a lot of their key players graduating last year.

“We’re looking to replace a lot of our team from last year,” Reidt said. “A lot of our big players graduated last year and the replacements we have are pretty new. Suffice it to say, we have our work cut out.”

“Last year, we had 4 different captains to help manage the team,” senior and captain Maddie Haffner said. “A big problem this year is we only have 2 captains to help everyone get up to speed and make sure that the newer members learn our standard plays. There’s a lot of responsibility, but I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t having fun doing it.”

The team has their work cut out for them, but spirits remain high. Their first couple of weeks have gone very well for them, and they are expecting it will continue that way.

I’m confident in the potential we have for the season. By the end of it all, I’m betting that we’ll be a really strong team and comparable to how we were last season”

— Rick Reidt

“I’m confident in the potential we have for the season. By the end of it all, I’m betting that we’ll be a really strong team and comparable to how we were last season,” Reidt said.

“We’ve been doing a lot of wall ball and basic practice in passing and catching,” Bischoff said. “With all of the work in the weight room, we’re really trying to improve ourselves.”

While a lot of the members are new and a bit inexperienced, there is also just enough returning players to give the team the form that it needs to replicate past results.

“The returning players we have from last season really do know what they’re doing,” Reidt said. “The captains, obviously, but plenty of the Juniors from last year as well. I don’t have any doubts that they’ve got everything they need to train the new players how we need to.”