Filed under Activities

Concert Orchestra performs in Pittsburgh

“I learned that months of preparation can really pay off in amazing ways. I also learned that on 14 hour bus rides, you really get to know people on another level,” senior Rachael Curl said. The Concert Orchestra earned the opportunity to play in the National Orchestra Festival in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

This annual festival brings together some of the top talent in the nation into one city. There they are given an opportunity to perform and get feedback, ratings and a lot more. This is a great indicator on a group’s talent and just being invited is an honor in itself. These groups that are invited are among the best in the nation and they earned the right to participate; being invited to this festival is a very big deal.

“By far the coolest experience of the whole trip was getting even closer to the other students on this trip. We’ve bonded and become such a family. We are all very talented but as an ensemble we are able to make the music extraordinary,” Curl said.

This trip was a great opportunity for orchestra members to grow closer to their peers in an out of school setting. They shared a 14 hour bus ride which certainly should do the trick. This trip was a combination of team building and performing. Normally when kids are that close for that long they begin to share a bond as they get to know each other. Sometimes a person’s closest friends are made when they least expect it.

By far the coolest experience of the whole trip was getting even closer to the other students on this trip. We’ve bonded and become such a family. We are all very talented but as an ensemble we are able to make the music extraordinary.”

— Weston McGinley

“My biggest takeaway was getting to spend a whole weekend with my orchestra family. It was cool to be able to bond with them outside of the classroom and get to know them on a more personal level,” junior McGinley said.

The group departed mid week and set off for Pittsburgh. When they arrived their time was mixed: they performed and practiced, but they also were taking in the city of Pittsburgh. This was a great experience for the group and they are sure glad that they were able to go on this trip.

“What I learned on this trip was just what talent can be produced by a high school orchestra. We competed in the National Orchestra Festival and it was truly amazing and inspiring to see the talent of some of these high schools throughout the nation,” McGinley said.

The Concert Orchestra has worked so hard all year in preparation for this festival. All the hard work seemed to pay off. The resounding response about the trip was that it was a wild success. The students really enjoyed Pittsburgh, the festival being in the presence of their friends for the whole weekend.

“I believe the trip went really well. I’m very proud of everyone and wouldn’t want to have done it with anyone else,” Curl said. The trip has seemed to have paid off, the concert orchestra is in its stride and they aren’t looking back.

This trip strengthened the group, they have become a lot closer and they learned a lot through the help and advice of experts from all over the nation. This will set the Concert Orchestra well for the rest of the year, and will give them a solid start to next year.

5 Responses to “Concert Orchestra performs in Pittsburgh”

1. Hannah Boardman on April 24th, 2017 12:48 pm

I like that the article started in a quote, it was a good hook. I also liked that it focused on peoples experiences and not just the competition. The quotes were good and it was easy to tell that good questions were asked.

2. Anthony Alvarado on April 25th, 2017 11:04 am

I agree that the first sentence of the story genuinely reeled me in. I enjoyed reading this article because it really focused on how elite the concert orchestra is, as you included that they “are among the best in the nation” and deserve to be in the competiton.

3. McKenna on May 3rd, 2017 8:51 pm

I agree with Hannah, great introduction and hook. The quote hooked me in and I wanted to read more. I liked how we were able to see what else happened, instead of just the performance, it kind of feels like we are behind the scene and like we went along. Great quotes and a great written article! Also, the pictures were interesting and good quality.

4. Christian T Anderson on May 7th, 2017 1:42 pm

Right off bat, good introduction to the article. The quote drives home the impact of the trip on the people that went on it, but I thought it was a little repetitive to restate the fact that they went on a 14 hour bus ride when it was already in a quote. the only other gripe I have about the article was the mundane language. What I mean is that when you wrote “The Concert Orchestra has worked so hard all year in preparation for this festival. All the hard work seemed to pay off,” it could’ve been stated better like “The concert orchestra put in countless hours to prepare,” or something like that. Other than that, it was an intriguing article on how not only does orchestra open opportunities, but it also ignites friendships.

5. Christian Anderson on May 7th, 2017 1:43 pm

Right off bat, good introduction to the article. The quote drives home the impact of the trip on the people that went on it, but I thought it was a little repetitive to restate the fact that they went on a 14 hour bus ride when it was already in a quote. the only other gripe I have about the article was the mundane language. What I mean is that when you wrote “The Concert Orchestra has worked so hard all year in preparation for this festival. All the hard work seemed to pay off,” it could’ve been stated better like “The concert orchestra put in countless hours to prepare,” or something like that. Other than that, it was an intriguing article on how not only does orchestra open opportunities, but it also ignites friendships. Overall a good article

• Concert Orchestra performs in Pittsburgh

Activities

Trap shooting gives unique, challenging opportunity

Activities

GSA club resumes, provides safe spaces and allies

• Activities

Speech heads to State

Activities

Amnesty International collects hygiene products

Activities

Youth for Sustainable Solutions created to help environment

Activities

Parents, committee plan all-night party

Activities

French Club makes immense impact with donations to Haiti

Activities

Thought Exchange results show district strengths, concerns

Activities

Mock Trial team teaches real-life law experience

Activities

Feminism Club creating change for better