Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Jesse Zelaya, Online Editor

Captain Mamie Thrall explains how she plans to be a good role model to other swimmers. Senior Mamie Thrall says,“I want to bring everyone together as a group and really focus attention on the newer girls and help them get better.”

The pools are opening up for the girls synchronized swim team.  Their first meet is on March 30, at Columbia Heights High School.

The girls synchronized swim team is ready to put their suits back on to start the season.  Synchro swimming is very different than other forms of swimming.  Rather than swimming laps back and forth, teams of girls have to work together to perform a choreographed routine in front of judges.  

In a sport where girls have to work together to perform, teamwork is vital.   Teams consist of four to eight people, but smaller teams have a harder time earning points because they are docked points. Larger teams are rewarded more easily, while smaller teams have to work harder to build up their points.  

Senior Grace Gualtieri said, “Teamwork is really big because we’re scored on our synchronization.  Everyone has to move together and everyone has to be able function together as a team.”

Other than performing in teams there are also trios, duets, and solos that are performed.   Each of these have figures inside of them.  A figure is an individual movement inside of a routine where each swimmer is scored individually, and the girls need to learn four of those. Figures are worth 50 percent of the teams score making them vital to be successful.

Coach Kathy Henderson added, “A synchronized swimmer must be a good swimmer first.  Once they have mastered basic swimming skills, then they can learn and build their synchro skills.  Synchronized swimmers need to be fast and athletic like regular swimmers, but they also need to be musical, creative, and enjoy performance.  It is sort of like combining swimming with gymnastics, dance, and strength-training all in one… while holding your breath.”

Synchronized swimming is like no other form of swimming.  It can very much be compared to an art.  Swimmers are dressed up and stage a piece that is backed by music.  Swimmers have to swim to the rhythm of a song together.  

With regular swimming it’s more of a forward motion. But with synchro you’re moving up and down and backwards and side to side. ”

— Claire Summary

Junior Claire Summary added, “With regular swimming it’s more of a forward motion.  But with synchro you’re moving up and down and backwards and side to side.  You’re muscles are moving in such a different way and you’re performing rather than competing.”

While synchronized swimming is beautiful to watch it is not simple at all.  The girls are practicing six days a week to nail their routines.  Synchronized swimming is difficult because of all the different techniques swimmers need to learn in order to perform.  

Senior Mamie Thrall explained, “We’re doing so much, we’re not just doing standard front crawl or breaststroke.  We’re adding that into our routines and then we’re adding a million things more.”

5 Responses to “Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork”

1. McKenzie Bohlig on April 18th, 2017 12:39 pm

The quotes are very informative, in-depth and explanatory, which means you took the time to ask well-formed questions. The links you added were also well-placed and added more significant information.

2. Bella Anderson on April 24th, 2017 12:13 pm

This is a very well written story. There is a lot of information on synchro which makes it easy for someone who knows nothing about it to get the just of what it is about. The quotes you used were very good and had a lot to say. Overall you did a great job on this story!

3. Owen Landrud on April 26th, 2017 3:49 pm

The variety of quotes from multiple sources in this article allows for many different perspectives on how the team will improve upon their already successful season. Well written and laid out, good job.

4. Sophie Begin on April 28th, 2017 11:54 am

I think the variety of quotes in the article was a major strong point. They were really strong and really helped shape the story. The article was filled with information and I liked how it focused on how the team plans to build on their existing success. Overall really well written and interesting article.

5. Ellie Speedling on May 8th, 2017 5:50 pm

As other people have said, the quotes are really good and helped shape the story. As someone who doesn’t know much about synchronized swimming, thais article really showed the goals the girls have set and what they are doing to achieve them.

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

People

Advanced sophomores graduate early

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Photo Slide Shows

Girls lacrosse looking to replicate last season

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Locker Room

Parker Anderson masters golf

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Activities

Young life gains popularity

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Photo Slide Shows

Boys tennis team serving up high expectations

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Focus

Photojournalism: vital form of news

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Photo Slide Shows

Mattson, Constant begin makeup account

• Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Focus

Journalism turns a new page

Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork