MLB The Show 17 set to succeed

Infographic by Ryan Shepard

“The runner is caught sliding into second trying to steal the base,” Harold Reynolds announced for MLB The Show 17 says.

MLB The Show 17 is a game that many have been waiting a while for and is set to release March 29 with Ken Griffey Jr. set to be on the cover for the United States edition. There are many updates set to take place in this edition unlike the games in the past.

MLB The Show series has been making games for Playstation consoles since their first game in 2006. They have been widely successful in many countries other than the United States. They have made a copy of the game for Korea, Canada and Taiwan with different players on the cover.

The Show was not the only game making company that produced MLB games. From 2005-2013 2K a video game company made MLB games but eventually could not compete with the quality of Sony’s The Show. 2K games, makes many other types of games for other sports like WWE and NBA and said they will stick to those games.

Among the many updates that the series wanted to improve and will this year are the physics of the ball. There used to be less than 200 spots where the ball could go and now Sony says there will be, “Hundreds of thousands” of possibilities for the ball to go. Along with the projection of the ball, Sony will be adding many stances for the players to make it as accurate as possible.

New game modes will be available including Retro and Diamond Dynasty mode. Diamond Dynasty mode will be similar to many other games in you will have to play games with cards that you have for each player and the longer you play the better cards you get. Similar to the Ultimate team game mode that EA Sports uses. Retro mode will be a slimmed down version of the regular game.

It will have, “All the new animations, gameplay additions, and improvements found in the regular version of the game,” Sony said. Sony later added it will have, “surprising depth.”

I play baseball so I like playing baseball games. The Show has good graphics and extremely smooth gameplay.”

— Louis Bisch

Along with many of the other sports games these days for the first time The Show series is going to add a story mode called Road to the Show into it in which players choose your player and how he looks. Players then will be able to play in college and high school eventually entering the pro level through the draft. The pro career will last as long as players want and will allow negotiations for contracts and other exciting features like that. The game will also be intertwined with MLB network showing that day’s scores and other stats.

It appears the Road to the Show mode will have some sort of storyline,” Brian Mozique of Forbes explained.  We don’t know how deep this aspect of the mode will go, but it’s nice to see [The Show] moving in this direction,” he later added.

Among the many players is junior Louis Bisch who explained, “I play baseball so I like playing baseball games. The Show has good graphics and extremely smooth gameplay.” Bisch has been choosing The Show series since it came out instead of the 2K series. In which Bisch later added, “Now, it’s the only game about baseball out there and I’m more than happy with the quality.”