Filed under Activities, Showcase

Trap shooting gives unique, challenging opportunity

Trap shooting is a unique, untraditional, but challenging activity. For many years, students have been given the opportunity to participate in this event.

It is a spring event for students; the team has all their practices at Oakdale gun club, along with some competitions there as well. Trap shooting is one person shooting at a time, shooting at a total of 25 clay discs. The score they receive is the amount out of those 25 they hit. Score is both as a team and individual. Usually contestants use a .12 or .20 gauge shotgun.

It’s a little tricky when you first start doing it, but after a while you get the hang of it and it’s not too bad.”

— Brice Hafemeyer

It is a bit different compared to a regular school sport, but the students still get the same sense of comradery. Each practice they are working together to improve everyone’s individual skill. It is all about repetition, making sure they can locate the disc after it has. been launched and get their gun up to it in time.

“I’ve made a lot friends in the past 2 years of trap shooting,” junior Brice Hafemeyer said. “It’s a little tricky when you first start doing it, but after a while you get the hang of it and it’s not too bad.”

Stillwater’s trap team usually goes to a few tournaments throughout the season. Each tournament has multiple teams competing, and at the end of the season there is a state tournament for the top individuals and teams. Stillwater has competed in state multiple times and an individual placed third last year.

“It’s always exciting to actually be competing, because there is only a few meets throughout the season, but the state tournament is that much better,” junior Clay Vizenor said. “We have a lot of experience on this team so it’d be very cool to go and get to compete at state again.”

The club has been gaining popularity over the years, with lots of new members. According to stillwaterschols.org, the biggest jump was in 2013, when the club went from 18 students to over 75. Once people started hearing about the club, and what it is they wanted to join. Even now there are students, like junior Amit Kumra, who want to be in it but just are not sure if they have the time.

“Trap shooting is very interesting to me because I like to hunt and this is kind of the same skill set,” Kumra said. “I have a busy schedule but I am hoping I’ll be able to fit trap in, because this is something I would love to be a part of.”

It is a club that not many are aware of, but has been growing every year. The team has had a good amount of success the past few years, and looks to keep building of that in the years coming, Hafemeyer said, “The main goal is to get as many people as possible interested in trap shooting, and continue building a strong club in Stillwater.”

9 Responses to “Trap shooting gives unique, challenging opportunity”

1. Hope Haukom on April 20th, 2017 1:07 pm

The quotes were spot on and you could tell the people interviewed were passionate about it. I like how attention was brought to an unrecognized sport and I didn’t know they had competitions so it was interesting to read about it. The picture was a great shot.

2. Bella Anderson on April 24th, 2017 12:22 pm

This story was very well written and researched. Before I read this I knew basically nothing about trap shooting but now I am very intrigued and might try it out myself. You obviously did a lot of research on the sport and took time to find valuable people to interview and it really paid off. Great job!

3. Anthony Alvarado on April 25th, 2017 10:54 am

You did a great job capturing the essence of trap shooting. You explained it perfectly because I wasn’t sure what it was prior to reading this. You also did a good job indirectly persuading people to join, you included facts that encouraged students to try something new and unique like trap shooting

4. Tiana Meador on April 26th, 2017 11:48 am

I love the outside angle on an underrepresented club. This truly shows their growth and the school-wide interest in joining. Well presented.

5. Emmanuel Kamara on May 2nd, 2017 9:12 am

Great intro to the story it has a nice attention grabber and gets the readers interested in learning more about trap shooting, the quotes also help gives a clear picture of trap shooting to people who don’t know what is trap shooting. Good job keep it up.

6. Jake Caywood on May 7th, 2017 12:07 pm

Great story Ryan! I didn’t know a whole lot about the Trap team or how the club operates but you did a great job informing me of everything I needed to know. In addition to that, the quotes used were very strong and supported your story very well and gave different view points with members and non-members.

7. Nicholas Gag on May 7th, 2017 10:12 pm

This was a great article. You had great research and great support. The support and quotes were a great duo and made this an awesome article.

8. Jared Dean on May 7th, 2017 11:28 pm

This article turned out really well. I like the information you gave at the beginning about trap shooting because it had information that not many people know. The quotes you had worked well with your article. I also liked how you had information about the team from previous years.

9. Ben Wicklund on May 9th, 2017 7:06 am

Very good quotes from both new and old members. Brings light to a less known club/team. Good facts as well, talking about the jump in membership.

• Trap shooting gives unique, challenging opportunity

Activities

Concert Orchestra performs in Pittsburgh

Activities

GSA club resumes, provides safe spaces and allies

• Activities

Speech heads to State

Activities

Amnesty International collects hygiene products

Activities

Youth for Sustainable Solutions created to help environment

Activities

Parents, committee plan all-night party

Activities

French Club makes immense impact with donations to Haiti

Activities

Thought Exchange results show district strengths, concerns

Activities

Mock Trial team teaches real-life law experience

Activities

Feminism Club creating change for better