Peterson saves ALC bus during unexpected incident

Katie Tanski, Social Media Reporter

Many people would not jump into action in a chaotic moment, but a student from the ALC did. Senior ALC student, Thomas Peterson, was reading a book on his way home on the bus. He suddenly heard screaming coming from the back of the bus and then he jumped into action. The bus driver passed out and Peterson jumped into the driver’s seat; he saved the bus from crashing and drove it safely into a ditch.

Many students on the bus were helping out and making sure everyone was okay, but Peterson was the one who saved the whole bus from crashing into the other cars on the road.

Peterson said, “Of course, I only had a small part of it. Many others were doing there best in checking if everyone was okay, especially the driver. In spite of what just happened, he seemed to be trying his best to make sure everyone was okay.”

The bus driver only passed out for a small amount of time. The reason he passed out was because of a coughing attack and he lost oxygen to his brain. When he woke up he made sure everyone was okay and that no one was injured.

It’s nice to know that I had a small part in diverting a potentially worse situation, but I really don’t like people using the word ‘hero.’

— Thomas Peterson

“According to the radio report, the driver and one of the students went to the hospital for bruises. I tried to call them but I could because of the law obviously. I’d like to apologize to both of them for any additional injuries I may have caused,” Peterson said.

No one was severely injured on the bus, but if Peterson did not save the bus from driving and hitting other cars many people would have been. Peterson does not see himself as a hero but many people on and off the bus see him as just that.

“It’s nice to know that I had a small part in diverting a potentially worse situation, but I really don’t like people using the word ‘hero’. Some of the other people who made sure other people were okay are the real heroes. They deserve that title,” Peterson said.

Peterson was sitting in the back of the bus when the accident occurred. He heard some voices raise in the back of the bus and then he felt compelled to jump into action. After the accident, he did not think of his own emotions he only thought of the others around him.

“I heard some nervous, raised voices and mild shouting behind me and that altered me. I felt like a nervous wreck afterward. Mainly I was just anxious for the driver and those around me. I felt pretty bad later leaving so early,” Peterson said.

Peterson is an all around leader and an outstanding citizen. He did not just save the bus but he also got his eagle scout badge. He dedicated his whole life to boy scouts and now got the biggest badge of his life.

“I’ve been in scouts for the majority of my life. Getting eagle isn’t an easy thing to do, and I’m happy I made it this far. If I learned one thing from it is we should all find something we get meaning from and stick to it. Not only is it part of what I get meaning from but it has given me a path which I plan to pursue for the rest of my life. Few things help you develop that type of attitude, especially at this age,” Peterson said.

I had no idea how to help the situation I just jumped into action. I’m sure many would have done the same thing I did. I was just at the right place at the right time.

— Thomas Peterson

After the accident, Peterson was looked at as a hero. He received the St. Croix Valley learning center strength and achievement award for his heroic moment saving the bus. Peterson doesn’t see himself as anything other than a person who was just at the right place at the right time. Peterson’s positive attitude makes him an even better person.

“I had no idea how to help the situation I just jumped into action. I’m sure many would have done the same thing I did. I was just at the right place at the right time,” Peterson said.

Peterson is loved by many friends and staff at the ALC. His heroic moment only shows a little bit of how great of a person Peterson really is. He saved the bus from crashing and made sure everyone on the bus was safe. Peterson is a natural leader and that shows in his boy scout achievements.

“I never knew jumping into action would have this big of an impact on my life. I encourage everyone to help the others around them and to make a difference in the world,” Peterson said.