AP Studio Art creates portfolios

Artistically talented students have a special opportunity. Students who excel and who are passionate about their art work have a chance to take part in the AP Studio Art (APSA) class taught by Carey Nisi.

This class focuses on four main ideas: a student’s commitment to experience the technical, formal and expressive means of their own artwork, the student’s absorption on a certain visual problem, and a sense of quality in the student’s work.

Most of the student’s work goes towards their portfolio. This assignment is to create a total of 24 art pieces throughout the entire year, 12 concentration pieces that follow a specific theme and 12 breadth (assigned) pieces. To successfully complete this course, students must submit their portfolio to the AP College Board in May where the judges determine a grade based on the art and statements.

“This is a year long course. We move at a fast pace. Students create a large portion of their portfolio as homework. I love the variety in the student’s: background, media, ideas. I love the commitment I see in so many of the students,” Nisi said.

This is a year long course. We move at a fast pace. Students create a large portion of their portfolio as homework. I love the variety in the student’s: background, media, ideas. I love the commitment I see in so many of the students.”

— Carey Nisi

To take part in APSA one of the three art teachers Christina Weese, Peter Koltun or Nisi must recommend this course to a student. Typically most of the students enrolled in class are juniors and seniors who have previously taken an art class .

“For my portfolio I am doing my concentration on Colombian culture. Most of my pieces have women on them either as the main focus point or on the side because I am capable of identifying myself on every painting,” senior Andrea Gomez Molano said.

Students concentration pieces have to follow a theme that can be demonstrated in 12 separate pieces of art. Gomez Molano is doing Colombian culture, while senior Ellen Bordeaux is doing mythology.

“Concentration pieces are purely your artistic voice creating a line of work that are cohesive with one another,” Bordeaux said.

While the students 12 breadth pieces are appointed by the teacher, these pieces consist mostly of class projects instructed by Nisi, but with your own artistic voice. These go along with their portfolio as well.

“I have been working on my portfolio since September, that was when I started looking at my options and determined that Colombian culture and women in Colombia was something unique and insightful for me,” Gomez Molano said.