Filed under Arts, TV & Film Reviews

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades

Press photo from Vimeo

Since its Aug. 31 release, La La Land has exploded in popularity. Whether through the perfectly cast leads, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, beautiful production or award winning music, this film has truly earned its record setting number of accolades.

Up to this point it has received a staggering 14 Academy Award nominations, 11 nominations the British Academy Film Awards, won 8 Critic’s choice awards, earned a singular Screen Actors Guild Award and achieved a record setting 7 Golden Globes awards.  The movie saw great success financially too, earning $250 Million world wide.

The film is set in Los Angeles and wastes no time setting the tone, with its first musical number giving L.A. a bright candy coating rather than the shallow plastic surface many view it with.  From there the viewer thrown into the story of two passionate old souls falling hopelessly in love, Sebastian (Gosling) the classic jazz loving dreamer, and Mia (Stone) the aspiring actress living out the stereotype of a young girl moving to the big city.  This love story takes us through their pursuits of their passions as their individual success threatens to tear them apart.

La La Land exhibits an obvious theme throughout that reaches out to many of us today, the conflict of nostalgia and the modern day.  While Sebastian desperately fights for success in his dream of running a jazz nightclub, his newly found love interest Mia goes from audition to audition being told she’s just wrong for the part.  They live out these lives in a setting that blurs the line between the past and the present.  From 80’s bands playing in the background, to old cars and movies, the viewer gets a feeling that maybe Mia’s Prius was shot back in time.

“The new elements mixing with the old ones made it really unique,” junior Brienna Johnson said.  She added “It really made the movie feel vintage and modern at the same time.”

This conflict of old and new eventually finds its way into the character’s lives, shaping and even sometimes corrupting their dreams.  Anyone that considers themselves an old soul will feel this movie tear at their passions and emotions on a deep level, really investing you in the characters and the plot.  As it all plays out, the audience is kept in this timeless land by everything from the bright candy colors of the past, to the flashy, modern clothes and costumes worn by the characters in the background.

I loved the music, the songs were catchy and really well written through the entire movie.”

— Sophia Rondeau

This movie does not only convey its meaning by what is on the screen, but as a musical it fills your head with beautiful melodies, drawing you in even more so than the perfectly choreographed dancing shown on screen.  The songs range from jazzy 50’s show tunes, to modern electronically built stadium filling sounds.  These sounds add a dynamic to this film that only a well done musical can have, and they do it very well.

Junior Sophia Rondeau said, “I loved the music, the songs were catchy and really well written through the entire movie.”

Anyone that likes a well crafted comedy, romance, old time musical, or any combination of the three absolutely needs to see this movie.  La La Land is effortlessly able to impact the viewer in every way the constraints of speakers and a screen allow it to, and it can not be missed.

5 Responses to ““La La Land” earns record number of accolades”

1. Quinn Kuslich on March 25th, 2017 12:41 pm

The press photo drew my eye at the start, and the article was very interesting.

2. Adam Humpal on March 27th, 2017 7:02 pm

The article was very well written. The use of the statistics about the awards the movie had received set the scene for the rest of the article. Also the thoughtful use of powerful adjectives and quotes compelled the reader to have a good impression of the movie without watching the film.

3. Maddy on March 28th, 2017 7:45 am

I thought the story was very informative and although it wasn’t persuasive, in my eyes it gave people a reason to go and see the movie and gave people an idea of what they were getting into.

4. Cates Eliasen on March 28th, 2017 9:41 am

With all of the recent buzz about La La Land, it was very interesting to see the history and a more in depth look at it’s nature. As always, your article was extremely well researched and written and a fun read!

5. Olivia Knox on March 28th, 2017 6:32 pm

The nutgraph provides really in-depth research. From the amount and different nominations, to the amount of money the movie has accumulated.

• “La La Land” earns record number of accolades

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds