Bill Howlett leaves impact on community

Aside from being highly social and inviting, former assistant principal Bill Howlett was a huge outdoorsman. He loved fishing and hunting, and one of his happiest places was out on the fishing boat. “He liked the outdoors, I like the outdoors. So it was natural for us to talk about things like hunting or fishing- and we did spend some time fishing together on the boat. Actually we did have a lot of fishing outings together, where we would talk about hunting and our kids,” math teacher Darby Whitehill says.

Photo courtesy of Peter Schield

Assistant Principal Bill Howlett passed away on Jan. 1 after a heroic battle with cancer. Howlett was loved and very helpful to everyone he came in contact with even if he didn’t know them. He is now gone, but his memories left behind will never be forgotten.

Howlett was very involved with the Stillwater Community; he leads the way setting examples for others to follow. He was very kind, selfless and sincere person. He worked hard trying to bring staff and students together, he was one of the few people students were not afraid to talk to, they were very open with him and he was open with them.

His Job

As an Assistant Principal in the White Pony Center, Howlett helped students with last names starting with Hb-O and all the staff within his pony center. Howlett often spoke to students, parents and staffs, focused to help them with solving any of their problems or help them with educational questions which helped students, parents, and staff to continue to make progress. As a result of his duties, he had many relationships and those relationships grew and became closer and more personal.

We know he’s in a better place and that we’re gonna miss him.

— Shelly Enhelder

When Howlett returned for the 2014-15 school year he mentioned in a Stillwater Pony Express article “It feels so awesome [to be back]. I have missed the kids and the staff. Even the goofy, crude, misbehavior, and scheduling junk that comes along with the job. I even missed all of that if you can believe it or not. It’s kind of one of that count your blessing moments because it is a blessing to be here. It is so cool. I missed it.”

He worked with students all over the school. He was always smiling and laughing in the hallways and encouraged students to speak up and open up to him.

Center Secretary Shelly Enhelder  who has known Howlett since they were young said, “Most kids were afraid to talk to a principal, but I don’t think kids were afraid of him at all.”

Cancer

Howlett loved his job and did it to the best it could be done, he did his job which helped make the teachers and staff members job easier. Howlett made an amazing comeback in the year 2015, to help and assist as he had always done. Prior to 2015, Howlett decided to step down from his position as the Assistant Principal in the White Pony Center to receive treatment for his cancer.

Howlett’s presence was missed by both the staff and the students. Howlett always did what he knew was best for the students and staffs in his school.

Howlett talked to students in a way that they would not fear him, but respect him and also feel like he was their friend. He brought a positive attitude to school day in and day out, and he also did his best to help out every student and staff he could.

Enhelder added, “Sometimes I still can hear his laugh in the hallways.”

Memories

Howlett did the observations for the World Language department and every time he did them he did all he could to make them fun and not boring. He joined in on the fun of being involved in the lesson as if he was just one of the students, which was helpful to both the teachers who are being observed, the students and for himself.

The week before Thanksgiving, after receiving the word that Howlett was going to be on Hospice Care, French teacher Jacqueline Parr took a day and did a lesson about kindness as she said Howlett was a very kind person and would have wanted the kids to learn about kindness.

Parr said, “I decided to do a lesson in his honor that day.”

Howlett’s kindness has impacted a lot of people’s lives leaving them with life lessons they won’t forget for the rest of their lives. He is truly missed by his workers and students who knew him or heard about him. The staff tries to stay positive and honor him whenever they get to work and students try to stay positive and pay respect to him whenever possible.

Enhelder added, “We know he’s in a better place and that we’re gonna miss him.”