Classic Disney films transcend time

Hannah Boardman, Layout Editor

The first Disney movie was released in 1923, and ever since the world could not get enough. Since that cartoon, Walt Disney Studios has released countless popular films and TV shows. Many are considered modern day classics and the term Disney has become its own genre of sorts. Disney movies are beloved over many generations and many people have personal favorites that they feel strongly about. For some it may be “Beauty and the Beast”, or “Aladdin”, or even “Lilo and Stich”, but the best Disney movie by far is “Mulan”.

Over the years, Disney has released many movies and there are often disputes over which one is the best. Everybody has their favorites, and it’s often hard to tell which is actually the best.

Mulan“, the best Disney movie, was released in 1998, and it was the first Disney movie to feature an Asian woman. She was also the first Disney princess who was independent and didn’t rely on a man to save her. She entered the army to save her father and as a result she ended up saving China. She shows young girls that they can be strong and that’s important.

Sophmore Anna Krusinski said, “I think the Disney name is so well known, and everyone has high expectations for it so the movies are the one’s people will go out of their way to see.”

“Beauty and the Beast” is number two on the list of best Disney movies. It is a timeless classic with something for everyone. There is action and a villain and even a romance. There are funny characters such as Lumiere and Chip, and the songs are unforgettable. There is also a new version of the movie coming out, a live-action version. The upcoming movie is bringing new life an old favorite.

“Good music is what makes a good Disney movie,” junior Alex Gast said. “The best and most memorable movies are the one that have the best songs that you can jam to.”

In third place comes “Aladdin“. Although it does not rank as high, it is still many people’s favorite Disney movie, and for good reason. All the characters come together to tell a mystical story of a far off land. There is magic, comedy and even tigers. The best character in the movie is Genie, because he is funny and lighthearted, but he also cares about Jasmine and Aladdin. He is a lovable character that many people see as the highlight of the movie.

“Disney movies can take a cliche story and make it interesting,” Krusinski said. “They teach lessons with a deeper meaning.”

Good music is what makes a good Disney movie.”

— Alex Gast

“The Little Mermaid” comes in fourth, but only a little after Aladdin. This movie is great and has an amazing soundtrack. Flounder and Sebastian are wonderful character’s and they really make the movie enjoyable, but Genie has got the beat by the slightest bit.

“My favorite Disney movie is ‘The Little Mermaid,” Gast said. “It was my favorite movie when I was a little girl and still is today. It has funny sidekicks and great music, two of the most important components.”

“Snow White” comes last on this list because, even though it is one of the first Disney princess movies, there are some far superior. Although this movie has many redeeming qualities, it does sometimes get a little dull. The characters are good as a whole, and the Evil Queen is one of the best villains of all time, there are some times when it feels like it’s dragging on. Overall, however, it is a classic Disney movie that is beloved by many, which is why it earned the last spot on this list.

“Disney is so popular since it can appeal to any age demographic,” senior Gabe Idusogie said. “It represents child-like innocence while leaving room for adults to embrace their inner child.”

Disney movies will forever be iconic, and although everyone has different favorites, everyone can agree that there is nothing better. There is almost always something for everybody, whether it be action, romance or comedy, Disney has it all. If you want to feel like a kid again or just want to see a quality movie, Disney is the first place to look.

22 Responses to “Classic Disney films transcend time”

1. Elise Luoma on February 27th, 2017 12:44 pm

This article has a strong lead, showing the history of the Disney legacy. I like how the author created a poll to see what movies students enjoy the most. The quotes included are strong and show the variety of movies Disney has created.

2. Hailey Laubscher on March 1st, 2017 8:44 am

The trailer was an awesome way to hook people in and I liked how there was a mini evaluation of each movie. Also, the facts that accompany the article seem really reliable and the people that Hannah interviewed seem passionate about the movies they were asked about.

3. Emmanuel Kamara on March 12th, 2017 12:00 pm

Great article i like how the lead draws people attention to read more of the story, also love the way you explain like every movie mentioned in the article. Also liked how Hannah did a survey to get different peoples opinions also the quotes are really great.

4. Aaron Yang on March 12th, 2017 10:40 pm

I really liked how each individual movies has their own little biography with them. I liked how the movies were sorted out from the most popular movie. The layout of the article was really nice, and hearing the different movies, and story lines makes readers want to watch or re-watch the movies. I also enjoyed the different quotes, how each person has their own opinion about disney movies.

5. Kaitlyn Launderville on March 15th, 2017 8:00 pm

I really liked how you had a trailer for the movie at the top! Also the lead was very well and wanted to make people read more. I really enjoyed the quotes. They were all different and everyone had their own opinions on different movies. I also liked how you ended the article! It made me want to go watch some Disney movies.

6. Sonia Moran on March 16th, 2017 11:17 am

I love the video. It’s a great way to introduce your article. Also, I love the different opinions about the movies. This article caught my attention because I love everything about Disney. Overall, it was a very interesting read and you are a great writer.

7. Ellie Speedling on March 17th, 2017 3:08 pm

I really liked how you put the trailer at the top and used the poll to figure out what movie people liked best! I really like Disney movies so this was fun for me to read and learn about other peoples thoughts on Disney movies!

8. Jake Caywood on March 19th, 2017 10:14 am

Great lead which draws readers in and leaving them wanting to read more. Awesome job stating the best Disney movies and backing them up with reasoning as to why they are the best. I liked reading the quotes and learning what other students favorite Disney movies are, overall great informative article!

9. Quinn Kuslich on March 25th, 2017 12:38 pm

The trailer was a great way to get me to read the story. I don’t know how I feel about live action Beauty and The Beast, but I do agree that Mulan is the best disney movie.

10. McKenna on March 25th, 2017 6:42 pm

I really enjoy Disney Movies, which caught my eye making me want to read this article! I loved the trailer, it’s a great way to introduce your article. Also, the layout of the article was really nice! I liked how the movies were sorted out from the most popular movie. The different opinions helped make the article stronger too! I really enjoyed the article and it was fun to read!

11. Kalley Lewis on March 27th, 2017 10:56 am

This article really catches the readers eye! I was pulled in right away. This story gives great information about all of the classic Disney films and does a really great job of supporting with quotes. I think the opinions in the quotes also did a good job of supporting the overall article.

12. Allison Heintz on March 27th, 2017 12:13 pm

This lead is very clear and intriguing. The author did a good job of adding the video visual as a trailer as well! Overall this is a very good article because so many students still love and enjoy Disney movies.

13. Noah Johnson on March 27th, 2017 3:06 pm

I like that Disney’s latest movie trailer was included in the article. Found great sources in Anna Krusinski, Alex Gast, and Gabe Idusogie to support the titles and why they are on the list. An improvement would be to elaborate why you ranked the movies in the order that you did. Other than that a high quality read.

14. Hannah Larson on March 27th, 2017 4:44 pm

I enjoy how each movie had a description and how they were ranked with the reasons. Strong article overall and fantastic use of quotes.

15. Olivia Weirtz on March 27th, 2017 6:47 pm

I like how you ranked several of the movies, but made sure the reader understood that Mulan is the best. I also like how you concluded the story, it sums it up really well by adding some nostalgia

16. Mariah Marsnik on March 27th, 2017 7:12 pm

This article is well written, informative and entertaining. Hannah did a great job summarizing the movies and describing why people enjoy watching them. I also like the way Hannah wrote about the characters and discussed how they add importance to the Disney movies. The quotes were also fun to read! Great Job, Hannah!

17. Maya Aflakpi on March 27th, 2017 7:27 pm

I can really tell this article had well researched information in it and had different views and wasn’t all one sided. I liked how this article talked about how disney shows some diversity by having the 1st asian princess. I really liked the trailer at the top and that made me really want to see Beauty and the Beast.

18. Linnea Phillips on March 27th, 2017 8:59 pm

This article was very interesting to read as it’s something everyone knows at least a little bit about. The lead and nutgraph were very informative and grabbing, they both made you interested to read more.

19. Megan Ramberg on March 27th, 2017 10:55 pm

You did a really great job of taking a fun subject and adding to the joy of it, and providing a lot of facts and information; which makes a great balance. Very interesting and enlightening article!

20. Maddy on March 28th, 2017 7:34 am

The article was well written and it appealed to almost everyone. Also, because the movies are ranked it creates a conversation between readers who agree or disagree.

21. Emma Lowey on March 28th, 2017 8:16 am

I like this article because it gives the reader nostalgic memories of there childhood because Disney was so prevelant in many children’s lives. You also have very detailed and strong quotes

22. Josh Bauer on March 28th, 2017 8:57 am

This article was very well written. It held a lot of information on disney, not only did the author comment on the upcoming movies and events for disney, but she also elaborated on Disney’s past and it’s success.

• Classic Disney films transcend time

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

• Classic Disney films transcend time

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

• Classic Disney films transcend time

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

• Classic Disney films transcend time

‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

• Classic Disney films transcend time

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

• Classic Disney films transcend time

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

• Classic Disney films transcend time

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

• Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

• Classic Disney films transcend time

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades

• Classic Disney films transcend time

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Classic Disney films transcend time