Trump’s ever-changing promises prove conflicting

January 4, 2017

Building an enormous wall, banning Muslims, and destroying the Affordable Care Act were all promises made by Donald Trump. These promises garnished both fear, hatred, and support from the American people, and the world. Trump made promises during the election to glean more support, but now that he is set to be President, he is going back on some of those promises.

The presidential election this year was wrought with mud-slinging, outlandish remarks, and promises. This was extremely true from the Republican candidate, Donald Trump. Some of promises included the aforementioned, building a wall across the border with Mexico, banning Muslims from the United States, and getting rid of Obama Care. In addition he promised to prosecute Hillary Clinton for her email scandal, repeal same-sex marriage, allow torture, and the withdraw from NATO.

On the topic of Trump’s changed promises, junior Reid Smith-Wiesel stated, “The wall, Obama care, and ban on Muslims,” as promises that have changed. Junior Jackson Wilkey added, “prosecuting Hillary” to that list.

However, the BBC cites four more agendas Trump has changed his views on. Many of Trump’s changes follow the same theme; they are all a softening of opinion. For example, the wall. Trump went from saying it should span the length of the entire border, to now where he saying only some parts of the border will be covered. Another example is Obama care, Trump went from saying it need to be completely repealed, to now where he saying he wants to keep parts of it.

Trump’s changing promises are nothing that could be considered new. According to USA Today presidents are always breaking or changing their election promises. For example when George H. W. Bush claimed he would not raise taxes, but once in office raised taxes. Or when Woodrow Wilson ran on the slogan “he kept us out of war” but after being elected, dragged America into WW1.

Trump’s situation is a little different from the aforementioned examples because Trump is already going back on his promises even before he is sworn into office. Trump likely campaigned on the idea that any media is good media. He made outrageous comments to make headlines, and it did get him copious amounts of news coverage. Now that he has been elected though, Trump is realizing that the election promises simply are not feasible. Therefore he is changing those promises.

I don’t think it is lying, I think it’s just not realistic. And people know it’s unrealistic so they aren’t being really surprised when the promises change.”

— Reid Smith-Weisel

Smith-Wiesel said, “I don’t think it is lying, I think it’s just not realistic. And people know it’s unrealistic so they aren’t being really surprised when the promises change.”

Smith-Wiesel thought that had these changes in promises been known before the election Trump would not have been elected. Wilkey had a differing of opinions as he thought Trump still would have been elected.

Though the real effect these changes of vows would have affected the election will never truly be known, that does not mean there is not room for debate. But one of the key pieces of that debate would be whether or not the voters thought Trump was being serious. USA today said many people have cynical views of politics and do not believe that politicians make good on their promises. Another question raised is are these alterations positive or negative.

Smith-Wiesel said, “His changes are positive, because he softened his harsh opinions.” Again Wilkey disagreed, stating that the promises are still inflammatory and cause division.

Some believe that Trump has not actually changed his promises, and that he will still make good on them. This opinion is held both by those who see it as a positive, and those who see it as a negative. However, it is clear from statements before and after the election that his position on some matters have changed. Though that does not mean Trump has changed all of his promises, he still remains adamant on re-negotiating trade deals.

The fact that Trump has begun to change his promises before he has even taken office is likely a sign that there will be many more altered vows. The best thing a person can do is expect these changes, and accept this may just be part of the propaganda of presidential election. Sometimes the words of campaigning politicians need to be taken with a grain of salt.

5 Responses to “Trump’s ever-changing promises prove conflicting”

1. Hailey Willius on January 18th, 2017 9:40 am

The powerful phrasing in the article draws readers in and the rest of this article is just as well thought out

2. Anna Koenning on February 9th, 2017 8:27 am

Good article! I was attracted by the word “ever-changing” in the headline, and the lead hooked me. I like the addition of historical evidence with Bush and Wilson, because it showed that this softening is not a new concept. The student input was interesting as well, though it could have shown the contrasting opinion better.

3. Evan Klein on February 9th, 2017 11:23 am

I like the quotes you use in this article. You seem to know a lot about all of the issues you discussed. The article could have been a little longer and included more.

4. Emma Lowey on February 9th, 2017 8:15 pm

Really good article! You had a lot of information to go along with your opinions and was a very well planned article. I was slightly confused when you were quoting those two juniors, but that is a minor problem.

5. Cates Eliasen on February 10th, 2017 10:27 am

Your use of quotes and your own language made for a very entertaining and in depth overview of Trump’s shifting promises. It was very well researched and I loved seeing your humor within the article and it’s title!