Filed under Arts, Music Scene

‘Hamilton’ mixtape features modern singers

Information Graphic by Linnea Phillips

Sold out Broadway performances, an incredible top selling album, a book and a PBS behind the scenes documentary. What is next for the high-powered Broadway show Hamilton? A mix-tape. Hamilton: An American Musical has boasted sold out shows in New York and Chicago for at least two years, and with the recent release of their behind the scenes documentary people have been wanting more.

On Dec. 2 the highly anticipated Hamilton Mix-Tape was released. The mixtape featured all of the songs, and a few new songs never released before. The songs on the mix-tape were remixed with completely different artists covering tracks and giving them a more R&B vibe. A powerful ballad called “Wait for it” sung by Leslie Odom Jr. on the original soundtrack was vamped up to give antagonist Aaron Burr a cool, sultry vibe by the rapper Usher.

The show’s creator Lin-Manuel Miranda said in an article about the song, “I may never write a song that good again,” He added. “That’s the one I was pickiest about, because those arpeggios and the dance hall rhythm make the song what it is.”

The problem with redoing songs from such a popular Broadway show is there are always going to be people who prefer the original to the new version. Many people have complained that they prefer the original because the story is more intact and because they are not a fan of the R&B sound.

Sophomore Mya Lysne said she prefers the original recording because, “The Mixtape doesn’t really tell Hamilton’s story like the original Broadway album does.”

With the added vocals from talented artists like Jimmy Fallon, Sia and Alicia Keys the songs have an added burst to them that makes people excited to hear more, and excited to see what’s next for Hamilton.

The Mixtape doesn’t really tell Hamilton’s story like the original Broadway album does.”

— Mya Lysne

Junior Amelia Torgerson said, “Maybe an ‘on-ice’ show? Like how they have Disney-on-ice. Also, definitely just expanding the locations of where they perform and eventually, recorded performances.” Expanding performance locations is something that’s definitely on the horizon for the show.

After adding a location for the production they now ran in two cities, New York City, and Chicago, but soon the production will begin to run in another location that’s a little closer to home. After a recent announcement from Miranda it became clear that Hamilton will begin the early stages of production for their nationwide tour in 2018-2019, including a stop in Minneapolis.

The mix-tape is something that Miranda and all of the other contributors have been working on for a very long time, and it shows. While some claim that they will never love anything as much as the original, the mix-tape is something that will hold listeners with its contemporary beats and raw, powerful lyrics.

6 Responses to “‘Hamilton’ mixtape features modern singers”

1. Mira LaNasa on January 17th, 2017 5:49 pm

Good article that makes strong points and connections with well known artists. Good use of facts to tie the whole article together, as well as a fair representation of what the Hamilton mixtape is.

2. Megan Ramberg on January 17th, 2017 11:28 pm

Really great article all together, I like how you talked about the mixtape as well as the original recording, and the differences and similarities between the two.

3. Anna Koenning on February 9th, 2017 8:20 am

Really good article! Great adjectives are used to describe the mix-tape, which really adds to the story. I like that quotations were used from Lin-Manuel Miranda as well as SAHS fans of the musical. I didn’t know that Jimmy Fallon was part of the mix-tape!

4. Lauren Gella on February 9th, 2017 12:03 pm

The introduction is very well written and it made me want to continue reading. The links are great because they give the readers a lot of additional information. This article has a good connection with the students because of the singers and the mention of the Minneapolis show.

5. Ellie Faeth on February 9th, 2017 7:05 pm

I really enjoyed the fact that you displayed opinions on which album was preferred. I also liked that you weren’t subjective. This is very informative article for Hamilton fans.

6. Ellie Speedling on February 13th, 2017 9:38 am

I really liked the different quotes and how you explained the difference between the mixtape and the original. After reading this I went and listened to both the mixtape and the original! Overall, great article!

• ‘Hamilton’ mixtape features modern singers

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades