‘The Accountant’ action movie: fun, laughable film

November 14, 2016

theaccountant

Infographic by Owen Landrud

Ben Affleck stars alongside superstars J.K. Simmons and Anna Kendrick in the new action and adventure film The Accountant. In the past year, Ben Affleck has become a mainstream actor after his performance in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

He now stars in this newest action film as an extremely talented mathematician who takes jobs as an accountant for criminal organizations. He is also a hired assassin, and a good one. Most say this is a film to shove popcorn in your face, forget about the story and have fun with the action. Directed by Gavin O’Connor, The Accountant was released on Oct. 14. Making only $24 million on opening weekend was a surprise to many even after the less than fantastic reviews by many film critics. The Accountant follows Christian Wolff (Affleck) and his life as an accountant and assassin. When an investigator (Kendrick)  gets a little too close for comfort, the accountant is forced to go on the run. However, despite the interesting synopsis, the film critics say the story could have been much better.

Junior Anthony Randazzo said, “I have heard about The Accountant. I hear it is about a super smart guy who is also an assassin, it seems interesting.”

Not everyone who heard the bad reviews was turned off from this film. In fact, some wanted to see it even more. Different tastes call for different opinions which is how The Accountant made as much as it did. The immersive action is truly what saved the film for most people who saw it, if it were not for the action, the reviews could have been even worse.

I have heard about The Accountant. I hear it is about a super smart guy who is also an assassin, it seems interesting.”

— Anthony Randazzo

Stephen Holden of The New York Times said, “Entire backstories were presumably left on the cutting-room floor of this overlong movie that never arrives at a destination.”

Many would agree that The Accountant will not be winning any Oscars. This does not mean that the action is any less than good. Currently, the film holds a 51 percent on Rotten Tomatoes which is not what those involved with the film want to see. An opinion is something that differs among most people, however no one should be afraid to form their own opinion.

Junior Shane Buerkley said, “The Accountant is a great movie because it had a good story and was well made with good actors.”

As it can be seen, opinions range from one end of the spectrum to the other. The Accountant is a good example of how different opinions of the same film can differ. Those who did not enjoy the movie as much as others say that it has no story and the characters are weak. While others say they rather enjoyed the film, saying that the story is not bad, there is excellent action and the characters are pretty good.

The Accountant is not a film that someone should have extremely high expectations for go in. But if someone is looking for a fun Friday night movie to enjoy, then this may just be the perfect movie to do so.