Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Kevin Thole

More stories from Kevin Thole

roadtowhitehouse

Infographic by Kevin Thole

The idea that elections in the United States are rigged has often been a common belief among conspiracy theorists and apathetic voters. However, this is yet another idea that has broken into the mainstream after Donald Trump brought it up numerous times in speeches. Not only is the idea of a rigged election not supported by evidence, but it is also potentially dangerous.

Trump has made numerous accusations at rallies accusing the Democratic party of rigging the election through widespread voter fraud. This narrative has become popular among alternative right news sites and some of his supporters.

The notion that elections in the United States are fixed is not new. In 1960, when John Kennedy defeated Richard Nixon, there were accusations that Kennedy won through widespread voter fraud. In the infamous 2000 election, when Al Gore won the popular vote but lost the electoral vote after a narrow loss in Florida, many Americans believed that there was foul play at work.

So how common is the problem is voter fraud? Voter fraud involves certain people casting more than one vote in an election, usually by impersonating another person or voting as a dead person. According to certain politicians and media outlets, this problem is widespread. However, this problem is almost nonexistent.

In a 2014 study conducted by Loyola law school, one billion ballots were analyzed for possible voter fraud. Of these ballots, only 31 incidents of possible voter fraud were found, making Bigfoot sightings more common than voter fraud.

I will accept the results of the election, if I win.”

— Donald J. Trump

This idea that organized, widespread voter fraud is occurring can be dismissed by simple logic. Presidential elections are huge and in order to commit fraud on a scale large enough to actually influence the election you would need an organized network of hundreds of thousands of people, who are willing to risk being prosecuted, all casting multiple votes by impersonating another person which somehow manages to get by the bipartisan poll watchers that oversee elections. That isn’t even the hard part. Now you have to make sure none of these people come forward and expose the whole operation or else you risk the entire thing backfiring. When this notion is analyzed with some critical thinking, it quickly falls apart.

The process by which the election is run would also make an election hard to rig. The reason for this is because elections are not run on a federal level; they are run at a state level. In order to rig a nationwide election, you would need to go through the states, 31 of which are run by GOP governors, so it would be very hard for Hillary Clinton to influence the results. GOP lawmakers often use voter fraud as a boogieman to justify passing voter suppression laws which require an ID to vote. According to a study conducted by the Brennan Center of Justice, 9 percent of voters don’t have an acceptable voter ID.

In most cases, a driver’s license, passport, military I.D, or other official I.D is required to vote in most states. Some demographics (young and poor people) are less likely to have these identifications, which results in them not being able to vote. The amount of I.D required varies by state, but 68 percent of states require an I.D. This can result in millions of people not voting in the election which can swing it one way or the other.

Trump’s remarks are also highly irresponsible and dangerous. The fear of whether or not Trump will accept the results of the election is not helped by him saying, “I will accept the results of the election, if I win.”

The conspiracy theory that Trump is the victim of a rigged election is dangerous to American democracy. If millions of people don’t trust the outcome of an election, some of them could become radicalized and pretty soon we could have another Timothy McVeigh on our hands. The majority of Trump supporters are don’t believe that the election is rigged, but there is a sliver of people on conspiracy theory internet forums that are detached from reality. Comments such as this could incite any fringe individual who feels disenfranchised by the electoral process.

Democracy in this country should not be taken for granted. Attacking the very idea of a free election is an attack on American values. A peaceful transition of power should not be a concern in a modern democracy and neither should the concern of a fixed election.

8 Responses to “Claims of rigged elections fall flat”

1. Olivia Knox on November 17th, 2016 5:52 pm

I really loved the info graphic as well as how you stated many facts that lead directly back to the main theme. The details were very precise and really showed how you did lots of research on your topic.

2. Adam Humpal on November 20th, 2016 6:07 pm

I liked the comparison of Bigfoot sightings to cases of voter fraud, because it was funny and demonstrated how rare voter fraud is. Also, I thought that the conclusion was very strong, and the story overall convinces you of the security of voting in America.

3. Noah Ness on November 21st, 2016 12:52 pm

The article was very well written and had a lot of strong points. There was a good mix of humor and facts, which really brought the topic together in an accurate way. The infographic was also very creative and well thought out

4. Christian Anderson on November 21st, 2016 4:26 pm

I really like the way your article is written. I liked the comparison of Bigfoot to voter fraud. That really put out an image of how small these occurrences are. One thing I will say though, even though you linked the Timothy McVeigh, it would have been nice to give a quick blurb on who he was.

5. Quinn Kuslich on November 22nd, 2016 6:06 pm

This article is very well written and the opinion is very clear these accusations are unfair the election is fair. I also like the info graphic it fits the article well.

6. Evan Klein on November 23rd, 2016 1:05 am

This is a very strong article overall but It would have been interesting to see more of the other side’s argument

7. Max Korth on December 1st, 2016 8:24 am

Well written article, however maybe more of a debate with the other side, so the reader knows there are two sides.

8. Ceci Charlsen on December 1st, 2016 12:58 pm

This article had really good visuals to help the reader understand and used language that would make sense to any reader, you don’t have to be fluent in political language.

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Trump’s fake news claims: inaccurate, hypocritical

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

U.S. economy seeing large benefits, result of immigrants

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Recent boycotts have powerful impact

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Trump’s Cabinet choices already worrying

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Trump turns a blind eye on businesses’ conflicts of interest

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Trump’s cabinet reamains controversial among Americans

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Trump’s ever-changing promises prove conflicting

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Political views should not overrule environmentalism facts

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Financial aid, flawed necessity

• Claims of rigged elections fall flat

Political Opinion

Potential power shift shakes legislature

Claims of rigged elections fall flat