Long awaited release of NBA 2K17, worth the wait

Mason Urban, Social Media Reporter

Mason Urban

The wait is finally over for basketball fans and sports video games in general as the always popular video game NBA 2K17 was released  Sept. 20 and is being sold for $60. The game has been out for about a month so the players are starting to finally get a feel for the game and if they really like it. This game has received a lot of good reviews and gamers have said that the game has improved since last year’s version NBA 2K16.

NBA 2K17 has made some changes to the game such as the My Career game mode being less of a story and more free flowing. The overall presentation of the game is vastly improved, as there are now 11 different in game commentators and every arena sounds different. There is also a new and improved shot meter which varies on the player the player is using. The most important shot meter is the layup shot meter as there was not one in NBA 2K16. There are also up to date rosters and graphics that make the player feel like they are at a real NBA game.

The general opinion on NBA 2K17 has been a good one. Players are really liking the game so far, which is no surprise since the 2K franchise has always been extremely popular.

Senior Garrett Corcoran explained his opinion on NBA 2K17, “I really like NBA 2K17 because I’m a basketball fan and it’s the only basketball video game.”

The game is entertaining and grabs the players attention right from the start.

Junior Charlie Richman gave his opinion on if people should get the game, “If they were on the fence about getting it I would totally tell them to get it.”

The graphics have been improved from last year and make the game look really clean and lifelike. The players have real life movement and the overall experience of the game just make the player feel like they are controlling real basketball players in a real game.

I really like the My Career game mode as it lets you create your own player and have your own career in the NBA.

— Charlie Richman

Richman said what surprised him the most about the game was, “Just how clean the graphics are. I really didn’t think they could be improved that much from last year.”

The crowd noise has also been updated to an extreme level. The makers of NBA 2K17 traveled to every NBA arena and recorded every team’s fans cheering and sounds from those arenas. Now every arena will have its own crowd noise and it just makes the overall experience of the game a lot better.

Sophomore Aaron Parker said his favorite thing about the game was, “The crowd noise. It just pumps you up when you are in a close game.”

NBA 2K17 also has updated rosters for every team so the game is as realistic as possible. The game also has roster updates throughout the year so that the player will always have a realistic experience with the game. These players also look very realistic, which just takes the game to the next level.

The game mode My Career is a very popular game mode where the player gets to make their own player and go through the life of an NBA player. The game even has a face scanner so the player can scan their face and have the player look just like them.

Richman said, “I really like the My Career game mode as it lets you create your own player and have your own career in the NBA.”

One major complaint of the game so far is the 2K servers. The servers allow players to play online against other people and if the connection isn’t good the game will either lag a lot or kick the player out of the game. This makes the experience for the player very unenjoyable as lag is very frustrating and hard to play through.

The game also comes in a bit pricey at $60. Most students have jobs but not all can afford to drop that kind of money on a video game especially if they are paying for gas and other necessities. But as long as people keep buying the game don’t expect the price to go down.

Overall NBA 2K17 is a very good game and is going to succeed just like the other NBA 2K games in the past. If anyone is looking to play a new video game NBA 2K17 is definitely one to try out.