Alum Fredrick strives for success with photography

Kleio Vrohidis, Online Editor

‘Click, click’ he smiles after looking at the camera and realizing he captured the perfect shot. Nothing feels better than finally receiving the exact shot he had imagined in his head.

Alumni Nick Fredrick graduated from SAHS in 2015, and since then he has been working to grow his career as a photographer. Photography has always been an interest in his life but not until recently has he decided to fully commit to the art.

High school sparks interest 

For many, deciding a post-secondary plan can be difficult but for Nick, taking yearbook made him realize his love for capturing moments through a lens. He believed it was a chance to explore his talents in the arts and discover how a publication works together.

Nick said, “My favorite part of SAHS was being on the yearbook staff. You meet a lot of great people and you learn so many skills. You learn social skills, writing skills, photography skills and leadership skills and working as a team. It was the best.”

Having experience in the photography field made his success grow as well. Being able to know exactly what to take a picture of helped him take better quality photos in a faster time period.

Nick’s cousin, Megan Ellison said, “Nick has grown exponentially over the years of him photographing. I always tell him every time I see a new shoot on Facebook, I’m more impressed! He started with raw talent and a passion for photos, and he’s been adding so much hard work and new knowledge over the years that he has become a truly awesome photographer.”

My favorite part of photography is taking a photo that you really like and seeing the finished product. It’s very rewarding and exciting. Another thing I really like is seeing the growth. Seeing the difference in my photos from a year ago to present is really awesome.

— Nick Fredrick

Growing business one picture at a time

While attending Dakota County Technical College, Nick decided to take more and more photography courses where he realized he wanted to continue his business after college. The classes not only help him decide a plan for his future, but allowed him to grow his business. Professors are constantly assisting him with new techniques to improve each photo he takes.

Nick said, “Well after I graduated, I made the choice to attend Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount, MN. I wasn’t sure if I was going to make photography my future of if it would just be a side hobby. So I ended up taking a few classes there just to see what happens and it’s been the best thing ever. My interest in photography has only increased…I have several instructors at my college that are super helpful and teach me new stuff everyday.”

Photography is a business that is built on determination and passion. Without it, photos lack character, and cannot tell a story but Nick possess traits that allow him to do both. He is able to make a photo stand out from others and bring out the subject’s emotions.

Ellison said, “I love everything about Nick’s photography, but my favorite thing is that he seems to capture personality in his photos. I know many of the people he’s photographed, and they just look so much like their inner selves through his photos. Even his shots of his dog or of nature capture this inner beauty that I don’t see in a lot of other photography.”

Future as a photographer

Nick plans on growing his business even further in the future by photographing family and senior pictures. With the support of his family and friends, he strives to have his own studio in Stillwater and eventually become involved in photography for magazines and for other businesses.

Nick’s brother and senior, Alex Fredrick said, “I see Nick doing exactly what he’s doing right now in 5 years but obviously on a larger scale. He will be living in an urban apartment and will be advertising his photography business and will be pursuing bigger and better things for it.”

Despite the challenges with becoming a photographer, Nick finds a way to overcome them and become better than before. Nick has been able to succeed through the qualities he possess like determination, persistence and drive. These qualities allow Nick to evolve his work to create better pieces and to build up his business.

Nick said, “My favorite part of photography is taking a photo that you really like and seeing the finished product. It’s very rewarding and exciting. Another thing I really like is seeing the growth. Seeing the difference in my photos from a  year ago to present is really awesome.”