New exciting shows take on fall T.V.

Elise Luoma, Student Playlist Editor

tvchannelinfographicnewspaper-3
Information Graphic by Elise Luoma

The interest in pop culture has sparked viewers in new and upcoming t.v. shows. From recurring to new shows, viewers can find something they are interested in through different streaming platforms.

Fall brings many pilot shows, which can vary from comedies to dramas and even to non-fiction documentaries. Many t.v. shows can almost be “typical” or similar by building off of each other, which makes them monotonous, but many new and fresh shows can amp up channels.

According to Vulture.com, networks offering a high quantity of shows increases the odds in favor of the quality. Streaming services such as Amazon and Netflix have also released exclusive shows to their service, which also appeals to viewers.

Viewers are also excited to watch discontinued shows on Netflix, such as Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl and Friends. Even though all t.v. shows are not educational, the story portrayed can give background and something interesting to think about.

Senior Ellie Rice said, “I think the basis of all t.v. shows are some kind of life lesson, so it’s interesting to see how the characters will learn them and how to apply them to your own life.”

According to statistics from a fall t.v. poll of 30 students of varying grades and genders, The Voice and Grey’s Anatomy are among the favorite t.v. shows airing this fall. Many students are interested in them because of their extensive histories and new and recurring characters.

Senior Claire Knowlan said, “I feel like you can learn things about friendship and hard work within t.v. shows if you really pay attention. I just watch them more for fun though.”

Some people believe t.v. shows do have lessons which can show things about life or something you can learn.

What is your favorite Netflix series coming up this fall?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Streaming networks such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Instant Video, offer a variety of shows. Viewers enjoy the convenience of on demand networks, because no commercials are included. Netflix offers exclusive shows such as Stranger ThingsOrange Is The New Black and House of Cards. These exclusive shows sometimes persuade people to create a Netflix account just to view them.

On top of recurring shows airing on networks such as NBC, ABC and CBS, new programs have been released to keep the appeal of t.v. shows to viewers.

Rice said, “I love new shows because it’s something exciting and different to watch. I only continuously watch a select few but after watching them from the start I’m intrigued as to how the plots will develop.”

A new show, such as Chicago Justice (airing on NBC) has been added to the trilogy of Chicago shows. The plot involves a legal drama while the prosecutors of Chicago deal with politics of the city. This is Us (also airing on NBC), has a plot similar to former show, Parenthood and depicts the stories of various people, families, their relationships and life stories. This is Us has a unique plot because it relates stories from two different time periods which involves some of the same characters, but it ties them together. 

Nonfiction shows involving politics have also sparked an interest in many people, especially students. From networks such as Fox and CNN, the programming involves different political shows which offer a variety of political views, news and debates. Junior Sintra Nichols said, “I’ve grown to enjoy the news more and more as I’ve gotten into politics. I definitely think the upcoming election, especially with its extremely polarized nature, has sparked a ton of interest in debates.”

Many viewers will stay in their comfort zone for familiar t.v. shows, but many will venture out into expanding their horizons and viewing new shows. Grey’s Anatomy is a favorite among students because it can appeal to people who want a profession similar to what is being depicted. Knowlan said, “Medical shows are also one of my favorites because I want to be a doctor when I get older.”

People of all ages watch t.v. shows for many reasons; whether it’s for research, school, or just plain fun, they can find something which appeals to them and their interests.

Favored show, American Horror Story (airing on FX), involves the stories and events of a family of three living in a haunted house. It is definitely in the category of creative shows because of the distinctive plot. Nichols said, “I think AHS is extremely creative because it takes the common fears and fantasies of the general public and turns it into a really twisted reality that they can physically watch.”

As the popularity of Grey’s Anatomy has sparked, the plot and storyline are the most thorough because of the wide variety of actors. With the recurring show The Blacklist, the creativity of the plot and leading actor, James Spader, has resulted in a nomination for several awards.

With the wide variety of ways to watch shows; whether it’s on Netflix or primetime T.V., primetime T.V. offers the most current shows. The capabilities of modern t.v. allow you to rewind and fast-forward shows and watch on demand.

More under the radar networks such as Hulu and Amazon Instant Video aren’t as popular as Netflix because they don’t include as much of a variety of original shows.  Both Netflix and primetime t.v. are equal in popularity because people enjoy watching current and past programs.

From old to current programs, viewing platforms allow a wide array of shows and genres for all viewers’ interests.