Beech performs as multifaceted student

Photo by Megan Warbalow

Senior Haley Beech excels at everything she does from school to running cross country. “I think that doing well in both academics and athletics really helps reduce my stress,” said Beech.

“I think that doing well in both academics and athletics really helps reduce my stress.

Senior Haley Beech is a true example of a versatile student athlete. Maintaining a high GPA through high school while being involved in girls’ cross-country and Nordic ski.  Haley gives a new meaning to multitalented. While her bubbly personality is apparent to anyone she meets, Haley prides herself on being hardworking and positive.

On Oct. 16, Haley was recognized along with four other students at Stillwater Area High School for being 2014 National Merit Commended Students. This award is given to high school students around the country who have scored high on the PSAT/NMSQT test. Commended Students are named on the basis of a nationally applied Selection Index score that may vary from year to year and is typically below the level required for participants to be named Semifinalists in their respective states, according to nationalmerit.org.

Haley has been running cross-country for the Stillwater girls’ varsity team since her sophomore year. For her senior year, Haley served as one of three captains for the varsity team that finished fifth at the Suburban East Conference Champions. Haley is a leader and role model for the rest of the team. While accomplishments as a team are most important, Haley has improved personal goals as well.

“She is the kind of girl who knows how to cheer you up if you had a bad race that day. She is always thinking positive and really united the team as a whole this year. She always goes beyond what someone asks of her and put in 110 percent,” said senior teammate Natalie Harrison.

“I mainly run because I enjoy it and the team is super fun,” said Haley. “I won an award for the most personal records during the season,” she added.

It is rare to find a high school student is skilled athletically and gifted academically, Haley works hard all year to succeed in everything she is involved in.

“I think that doing well in both academics and athletics really helps reduce my stress. It’s hard to keep everything in life under control, and just knowing that I’m at least doing ok in one really let’s me focus on succeeding in the other. But sometimes it does get a little overwhelming,” said Haley.

Her family is very supportive which she credits as a reason she has been so successful in high school. Haley values family time even more now that the idea of college is right around the corner.

“My family played a huge role by always helping and encouraging me. Every fall I help out on our family apple orchard, picking apples and helping make apple cider. It one of my favorite ways to get to spend time with them,” explains Haley. “I am in the process of applying to colleges right now and it is crazy! I would be really happy going to any of ones I am applying to,” added Haley.

Besides cross-country, Haley is also the captain for the Nordic ski and spring track team at the high school. In her free time, playing alto saxophone and baking are her ways to escape from her busy life. But over all, her friends are the support she relies on.

“My friends help me have a lot of fun and not just be boring and study all the time. They are even more important in athletics, when I spend tons of hours every week training and racing with them, and if course goofing off as well,” explains Haley.

A versatile student athlete who does it all, Haley never falls short of a passionate hard worker. Her goals for the rest of her senior year include maintaining her high GPA and about all else, have fun in her final year of high school. While college plans are not fully decided for Haley, it is safe to say that no matter where she goes, success is sure to follow.