Kristen Diedrichs wins AAA award

Senior Kristen Diedrichs received the AAA award for her excellence in arts, athletics, and academics. Her interest in many different fields  has allowed her to become involved in a lot of different activities. She participates in  band, orchestra, choir, track, soccer, nordic skiing and has a 4.116 weighted GPA.

Diedrichs was approached by Athletic Director Ricky Michel, and was asked if she would like to put in an application for the award. She entered her application containing her impressive resume of three sports, three arts, and a 4.116 GPA, and was chosen to be 1 of 32 students in the state and 1 of 2 student in her region to receive the award. The Minnesota State High School League award each winner, one boy and one girl from eight different regions in both A and AA schools, $1,000 per year in scholarship money.

Diedrichs has been involved with the band program since elementary school. The last 2 years she has doubled in band and orchestra and just this past year, joined the choir as well. She plays the oboe for the Concert Wind Symphony and the orchestra. The past 2 years, she has been awarded all-state in orchestra and band. She plans on continuing playing the oboe next year in college at St. Olaf.

She’s a superstar in the classroom, she’s a superstar in the music room, she’s a rarity but she has never decided to put one on hold for the other. She could be great at one thing, but she would rather be better at many things.

— Paul Weiland

Diedrichs said, “I love being able to play a wide variety of music within the band and orchestra. Both are amazing ensembles with a really fun group of kids. One thing I am looking forward to out our Spring concert where I will be performing a solo concerto.”

Diedrichs is a very rare 3 sport athlete. She has been involved with all three sports all through high school and was captain of the soccer and nordic team in her senior season. She is a great athlete but is more about the camaraderie of the team. She loves the competitive aspect and loves having fun and being around her team.

Soccer coach Dusty Dennis said, “Kristen is one of the kids that is always level headed and she is the anchor for every team she plays for. She is always a voice of reason during emotional moments and was someone that led the team through action and example. I will always be thankful that I had the opportunity to work with her during her soccer career. It truly was a privilege.”

Diedrichs is also a very dedicated student. She has earned a 4.116 weighted GPA throughout high school. Although she is a dedicated athlete, her grades come first. She does not plan on continuing her athletic career in college and plans to focus more on education. As every other college student, she expects to be very busy with school work.

Diedrichs said, “I am doing the double degree program at St. Olaf with a BM in oboe performance and a BA in psychology. It’s already tough to manage time with a double degree so college sports had to be left out.”

The AAA is a very prestigious award and very tough to win. Not many people meet the requirements for all 3 categories: arts, academics, and athletics. She is a dedicated student athlete and enjoys all of her extracurricular activities. Although grades and education come first, athletics and music are a close second which makes her the very well rounded person she is.

Track coach Paul Wieland said, “She’s a superstar in the classroom, she’s a superstar in the music room, she’s a rarity but she has never decided to put one on hold for the other. She could be great at one thing, but she would rather be better at many things.”