Intramural sports decline in popularity

Virginia Valishout

While the amount of time students spend on homework and the amount of money spent on Starbucks to help students stay awake have increased, intramural sports are on the decline.

Stillwater Area High School  has many intramural sports including basketball, volleyball, bowling, rock-paper-scissors and dodge ball. New this season in the intramural section is boot hockey, which Intramural Coordinator Ralph Halverson hopes will be very popular among the students.

Registration for intramural boot hockey began Nov. 5 and ends Dec. 20 in the athletic office.  Boot hockey practices are at the St. Croix Valley Recreation Center.

Halverson also believes that the decline in intramural sport participation is due to lack the of communication among the students.

“We just aren’t getting the word out,” said Halverson.

While the school is practically wallpapered in posters advertising the Speech Team and Snoball, there is not a single poster advertising the intramural sports opportunities.

Another possible factor that could be the cause of the decline is the fee involved.

“I think intramural sports participation is declining because the fees are getting a little more expensive,” said senior Brady Anderson.

In addition, both Anderson and Halverson believe intramural sports are in decline because of the time commitment.  Although intramural sports do not have a strict or extensive practice schedule, the time commitment is still too much for some students.

“People are busy with other activities outside of school while still trying to keep up in school,” said Anderson.

Despite the lower participant numbers, students enjoy playing intramural sports.

“Intramural sports are a lot of fun because they offer a chance to get together with friends and have a good time while staying active in a slightly competitive atmosphere,” said senior Mark Houle.

“You get to be out there with your friends and you get to play other people who are out there to have fun too,” said Anderson.

Many students find the slightly competitive atmosphere of intramural sports both fun and fitting to their busy settings.

One sport students want to see become an intramural is badminton.

“I have always wanted there to be an intramural badminton league. I think everybody who has taken gym class is familiar with the game, plus it’s just a really fun game to play,” said Anderson.

Despite declining numbers, students continue to enjoy playing these sports and encourage other students to come and participate as well.