Students set on the path for future fame

March 15, 2016

Confident, skilled, experienced, knowledgeable and unique. These are the traits of a person bound for fame. They can be used to describe students such as junior Corri Gardner, senior Clay Knoll or sophomore Lydia Stannard; all three of which are on the journey to fame.

Rising stars are in abundance in Stillwater. Ranging from music to politics, there is a diverse selection of outstanding talent. For some this talent will eventually roll over into adulthood, in the form of fame.

Corri Gardner

Gardner is the definition of academic involvement. Taking part in clubs such as the Young Democrats of America, Amnesty international and Youth for Sustainable Solutions, as well as being an active member of student council, it is clear that Gardner likes to get involved in the things that she cares about.

“I love being involved with school activities. The clubs I’m involved in are Young Democrats of America, Youth for Sustainable Solutions, Student Council and Amnesty International,” Gardner said. “I enjoy the clubs I’m in so much because I know that most of what we do makes a difference in our school and overall in our community. I’ve always been told I have good leadership skills, hence having a leadership position in 3/4 clubs. I like speaking in front of people, especially about things I’m passionate about.”

One of the most effective ways to make a difference in the world is getting involved with politics and working in a government position. That is why Gardner plans to major in political sciences and direct her career towards becoming a politician.

“I want to attend college somewhere in California, majoring in political science. After college I’d love to work with Amnesty International for a few years traveling and fighting for women’s rights, worldwide,” Gardner said. “Eventually I want to come back to Minnesota and be a politician.”

Gardner’s passion for the the things she cares about sets her apart from the crowd. With a focused goal and a solid foundation, fame is not far off for Corri Gardner.

“I think my drive and passion sets me apart from others, right now at least. Most kids our age have no idea what they want to do, but I’ve known for a few years now,” Gardner said. “I know that I won’t be happy unless I’m helping others and making a difference.”

Clay Knoll

With a mop of brown hair on his head and an outfit consisting mainly of concert t-shirts, Knoll is the type of person one would expect to be a rising musician. From playing bass in the orchestra to singing in a band, Knoll is multifaceted with his music.

“I’d say the edge I have is doing the classical, rock and jazz. I like being diverse,” Knoll said. “The school has a good orchestral and jazz foundation that a lot of other schools do not have.”

Music is Knoll’s passion, he enjoys anything from delta blues to psychedelic rock and many things in between. Whether it be listening to, creating or performing music, he is fully involved and totally committed to the art.

“I love making music,” Knoll said. “I’m in this really cool progressive orchestra psychedelic group right now. We call ourselves Johann Sebastian Hendrix.”

As for the future, Knoll knows that he wants to continue to make music. With a unique blend of styles and genres his music is likely to stand out from the rest, which might just earn him a position of fame.

“I don’t see myself as having any other options,” Knoll said.

Lydia Stannard

In her sophomore year alone Stannard has proven to be very determined to make her mark. On top of participating in choir and general schoolwork, Stannard has done multiple productions such as Shrek and Anything Goes, proving her ambition for success.

“I like to dance, sing and do theater,” Stannard said. “I do these things because they are creative outlets and they help me meet a lot of new people, especially people from different schools and in different grades.”

Stannard’s powerful singing voice sets her apart from crowd. This along with a strong stage presence is what makes her performances shine.

“I can belt quite a range of notes without straining my voice. I have been told I have a large presence on stage and that I have a powerful voice,” Stannard said. “I think these skills set me apart from other people who have the same aspirations I do.”

Wherever life takes her, Stannard knows that she wants to continue to use her voice. Either on stage or in the classroom she plans to share her skills with the world.

“I really want to continue singing whether it be on Broadway or being a music teacher,” Stannard said. “I want to end up doing something I love and enjoy doing.”

Only time will tell where Gardner, Knoll and Stannard end up. Chances are, they will continue to pursue greatness.

“I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing,” Knoll said. “If something happens then I guess something happens.”

View Comments (3)

• T

Taylor JohnstonApr 19, 2016 at 10:02 am

Great way to start the article it keeps you hooked and makes you want to continue reading. Goes in depth on each student who is seeking fame. Great use of quotes and facts. Amazing article.

Reply
  • S

Sam HudachekMar 29, 2016 at 5:32 pm

I loved your choices of people! They all have big, but very different goals and I think your facts and their quotes really captured that! Amazing photos too!

Reply
  • K

Kai KnudsonMar 29, 2016 at 8:20 am

The photos and captions were really strong for this article. Also, the quotes given were really good, although the fact paragraphs sometimes restated information from the quotes.

Reply
3