Universal rules of ‘being cool’

Lauren Lebourgeois

More stories from Lauren Lebourgeois

Many people wonder what it means to be cool. Everyone has their own definition of, and think of, it a little differently. It is natural for trends to start, and also to come to an end. Trends are constantly happening in our evolving society.

Since before anyone could remember, humans have always gone to huge extents to fit in and be cool. It is human nature to have a want to “be cool”. High school students around the nation are willing to go to, in some cases, extreme measures to be cool and fit in.

Everyone wonders what it means to be cool. Being cool means that one is confident in themselves.

“If you’re cool, you’re confident in every fiber of your being. Confidence equals cool. You have to be comfortable in who you are, and then people will think you’re cool. If you’re super bubbly, people will be like ‘oh my God, you’re so cool,’” Junior Maya Eckert said.

Everyone has a different definition of what it means to be cool. According to junior Heather Ley, she thinks it has a lot to do with personality.

“I don’t think there is necessarily a definition of being cool. I guess it’s just how outgoing you are, or the amount of friends you have,” Leyh said.

There are so many different trends in high schools around the state and even nation such as Instagram and twitter. The measures students are willing to take to be cool is outstanding. Students are spending large amounts of money to “fit in”.

“I know a lot of girls are hyped over Lululemon stuff, I don’t have any, I don’t really care, it’s expensive, so I’m not going to buy it. I know those Hunter boots are liked. I think they’re cute, but also very expensive,” Leyh proclaimed.

According to junior McKenzie Claypool, she thinks students are going too far out of their way to follow along with current trends.

“I feel like people would go beyond whatever they thought was ever capable to be cool, because everyone wants to be like everybody else, and I feel like no matter what, people will try to be like everyone. They will go above and beyond,” Claypool said.

I feel like people would go beyond whatever they thought was ever capable to be cool, because everyone wants to be like everybody else, and I feel like no matter what, people will try to be like everyone. They will go above and beyond

— Mckenzie Claypool

It has been a largely conversed topic, people are trying to figure out why students feel the need to go above and beyond to be a part of the social norm.

“Nobody wants to feel left out if somebody’s talking about something current or new, they want to be able to include their input also,” Claypool said.

When someone compares themselves to someone else who might have more or nicer clothes, it can really make them feel “un-cool” or more insecure.

“I used to compare my looks all the time, and it’s something I try really hard not to do now, because I feel it’s very important that we break the stigma of being cool and embrace our own uniqueness,” Eckert said.

Trying too hard to be cool or comparing oneself to others is a current issue among teens in America. Bullying occurs way too often because someone may not act or dress the same as everyone else.

“Students try so hard to be cool because they don’t want to feel like an outsider or alone,” Claypool said.

Some teens worry too much about their popularity. If you are “popular”, you are automatically “cool”. But it does not work like that, people put too much energy into their reputation.

“I know people care about how many likes they get on Instagram or how many friends they have, and I know that plays a major role in it. I don’t think it really defines anyone,” Leyh said.

Some people make “being cool” look so easy, and that it comes naturally, but that may not always be the case.

“I think people try so hard to be cool because they might be a little insecure, but at the same time, they might be fully secure,” Leyh said.

“When you’re cool, you’re accepted, like being cool, you’re automatically going to be liked by everyone, and your life automatically becomes better. You don’t have to put work into it, you just think ‘oh I’m cool now, my life is 1000 times better,’” Eckert said.