KDWB’s annual Jingleball concert releases new lineup

Kaitlin Bloom, Online Editor

Information Graphic by Kaitlin Bloom
Information Graphic by Kaitlin Bloom

As the winter holidays draw near, everyone finds themselves surrounded by seasonal madness. With so much to do, and so many options, students may find it hard to decide what to do with their precious free hours. Music lovers from all over Minnesota will be joining together to celebrate the time of year with artists they love at one event, Jingleball.

This year Jingleball will be held on Dec. 7 at the Excel Energy Center. As in year’s past, the event will be sponsored by KDWB. This years lineup for the concert includes big names such as Fall Out Boy, Demi Lovato, Tove Lo, Nick Jonas and many others. As the day draws closer, excitement grows. It should be a night to remember.

Jingleball gives music fans a unique opportunity to hear many of their favorite bands and artists in one night. Each year the lineup includes major artists, most of whom have had at least one single in the billboard top 40. It’s an extraordinary experience.

“I really liked that I was able to see more than one artist in one night,” junior Mckenzie Brady said.

Jingleball is the bomb, everybody loves Jingleball. Even my grandma wants to go, she is super hip to Calvin Harris’ sick beats. There is no way Jingleball is losing popularity, it’s too cool to die

— Mackenzie Moroney

However, there are some major drawbacks of Jingleball that may cause some students who are on the fence to stay home from the event. Tickets are expensive, it’s crowded and loud, and each artists is only allowed to play a couple of their favorite songs. Some of the concert attendees are there to hear a particular band or artists, and only hearing them perform two or three songs can be disappointing.

“Seeing one artist perform their whole album as opposed to a bunch of artists perform two, some of whom you don’t even like, is more appealing,” senior Molly Frisch said.

Another issue that has recently been called in to question surrounding Jingleball is the popularity of the artists performing. While they have still been able to round up some big artists, each year the impact of the lineup seems to impress possible fans less and less. Many fans find themselves excited for a single artist on the concert, but unimpressed with the performers as a whole.

“I really don’t like the lineup this year,” junior Zach Feinberg said. “I mean I really like Fall Out Boy but everyone else is just blah.”

When students weigh out the pros and cons of Jingleball, many of them find the problems are too grand for them to be willing to

Many of Jingleball’s attendees are younger, and it’s been questioned whether or not Jingleball is losing popularity among high school

students.

“I think it is [losing popularity] because time and money is scarce for [high school students], and I know a lot of people, especially in my group of friends, prefer other types of music,” Frisch said.

But for some Jingleball will never lose its appeal. It’s all a matter of personal preference, and if at the end of the day any student finds themselves really wanting to go, they should buy a ticket. No matter what your feelings on the concert are, it’s definitely unlike any other concert.

“Jingleball is the bomb, everybody loves Jingleball. Even my grandma wants to go, she is super hip to Calvin Harris’ sick beats. There is no way Jingleball is losing popularity, it’s too cool to die,” said senior Mackenzie Moroney.