Andrew Weaver brings fun to biology

December 17, 2015

From a quick first glance, the room appears cluttered. Then after further inspection, it comes to light that everything is in it’s place, there are just so many things in so many different places, that it appears disorganized. There are taxidermy mounts along the back wall and hanging from the ceiling, aquariums on the counters, and labs in progress fill the rest of the empty counter space.

Thus is biology teacher Andrew Weavers room throughout the school year. Weaver’s desk is another story, though. The desk is deliberately messy. One item on the desk in particular stands out: a large brown collar, with an antenna sticking out of a rectangular protrusion. Weaver plans to use this collar, which costs around $3000, to track a deer in the Environmental Learning Center (ELC) behind the high school.

“Stillwater is lucky to have received many grants from companies such as Medtronic. [It allows us] to put a fancy, expensive, GPS collar  on a white tailed deer to study urban deer populations,” Weaver said.

Weaver has attempted to catch and track deer in the ELC for several years now.

“One of the neighbors, adjacent to the ELC, had pheasant that kept visiting her bird feeder. So I went over there, and I set a [funnel] trap… and told her to call me if we caught one,” Weaver said.

“In the past, when we have caught a deer and collared it… it has been a really great learning experience for the kids,” Weaver said.

Weaver has collars of all shapes and sizes, and he has put various types of radio collars on many other types of animals other than deer, including raccoons, opossums, and even a pheasant.

Eventually, Weaver received the call. He told the woman to “shove a pillow in the funnel,” which she did, “with a very fancy pillow”, Weaver added. The pheasant was collared, and tracked around the ELC for some time.

“Radio telemetry is useful for many reasons. You can learn about an animal’s movement, their migration(s), if applicable, their territory expanse and more. With the ELC deer, we hope to track how far and where to these urban deer go, if they cross the highway [36], etc,” Weaver said. “The most common fate for metro deer is getting run over by cars,” he added.

A fiery passion for the outdoors is ignited early

Always curious about the natural world around him, Weaver’s passion for biology began when he was very young. As a kid, he raised many different birds in his yard near the Mississippi River in Anoka, MN including many types of ducks.

“My brother and I mowed lawns to get money with which we bought ducks from this guy in Eagan. We had wood ducks, mallards and pintails running around our ‘menagerie’,” Weaver explained.

Then, while in high school, he stumbled upon the book North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks, which introduced him to the world of falconry, flying raptors to hunt game.

“That book changed my life,” Weaver told Star Tribune reporter Dennis Anderson.

A master falconer is incarnated

Later, while attending the University of Minnesota Morris, Weaver kept his hawk at the house of one of his professors, and continued to improve his skills as a falconer. He became a general class falconer, then he achieved ‘master’ class, the highest class possible.

Weaver is one of few MN falconers, he is “one of Minnesota’s cadre of about 60 licensed falconers,” Dennis Anderson wrote in a Jan. 2014 Star Tribune article reporter.

Mr. Weaver is an eccentric, but enthusiastic teacher.

— Jake Peterson

In addition to teaching and falconry, Weaver is on the Carnelian-Marine-St. Croix Watershed Committee, and is a member of Marine Fire and Rescue.

Turn over to teaching

In class, Weaver has a very distinct teaching style, which can sometimes be heard in classrooms down the hall. Even more pervasive, however, are the smells originating from his room. His students seem not to be bothered by the smell, though.

“Sometimes the smell is just… terrible, but Mr. Weaver just has a way of turning it into a [funny] situation [rather than an unpleasant one],” said Sophomore Kate Schmiechen, currently in Weaver’s AP Biology class.

This style seems to work, however, because each year an average of 75-80 percent of his students pass the AP biology test, and 20 percent of his students get 5’s. The national average in 2015 was only 64.1 percent passing ( scores of 3-5), and just 6.2 percent of students received a ‘perfect’ score of 5.

“Sometimes, I don’t even know where he is, but he is [a great teacher],” said Schmiechen.

Extra curricular club leader

Weaver connects with his students outside of class as well. Last year, he mentored Kyle Stivland to become a falconer. He also runs a deer hunting archery club at the high school with Todd Kapsner, an Industrial Technology teacher. In the fall, kids in the club learn to hunt deer with a bow and arrow and are mentored and taken hunting by ‘experts’.

Whether teaching, flying raptors or helping his community, Weaver is an exemplary role model, one who should be held in high regard. As he puts away the deer trap until next spring, one can only hope that next year the deer cooperate a little better and Weaver can track the animal across the ELC, which is a much harder task than tracking Weaver throughout his day.

“Mr. Weaver is an eccentric, but enthusiastic teacher,” said junior Jake Peterson.

• M

Matt JohnsonJan 8, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Mr. Weaver seems like a really awesome teacher but you made him sound like a very cool dude as well! Had some awesome pictures and good introduction too! Nice overall article!

Reply
  • T

Tessa RosaJan 7, 2016 at 9:06 am

Good job on the lead and nutgraph! It was descriptive and created a lot of imagery for the reader which was cool. Overall you did a really nice job on the story, after reading I feel like I know Weaver better. The photos were really fun and showed his personality as much as you did in the story.

Reply
  • L

Lucas BraunJan 6, 2016 at 8:33 am

I liked the article a lot. It showed how he has lot of fun as a teacher and a lot of fun with his falconry. The picture that goes along with your story if really good as well. I like how your headline doesn’t limit the article just to the classroom. I would suggest maybe putting in a few more quotes to help show his point of view a little better.

Reply
  • N

Nick CarlsonJan 5, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I very much enjoyed the imagery you used in your introductory paragraph. It gave me a sense of Mr. Weaver’s personality and pulled me into your story. Your simplistic headline also drew me in wondering what the specifics were. The language you used was descriptive and full of details such as the many experiences Mr. Weaver has had. You also kept the story professional but included some fun parts such as at your ending. You had some good quotes and the most compelling one I feel was the last one at the end which nicely described Mr. Weaver in a nutshell. One piece of advice I would give is to have even more quotes from Mr. Weaver that exemplifies his personality even more.

Reply
  • S

Sarah McCarthyDec 28, 2015 at 11:38 am

Andrew, you did a great job in the introductory paragraph. The imagery you used really got me hooked to keep reading the story. I also liked how you gave a lot of background information and other aspects of Mr. Weavers life/accomplishments as a whole, not just his desire to capture and collar animals. You really shined a light on the positive impacts Mr. Weaver has had at the high school, including the impact he has had on his students.

Reply
5