Students and staff help Nisi battle cancer

Jasmine Hearne

“A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug,” said famous American actress, Patricia Neal. Cancer often causes victims to distance themselves from society as they take the time to rest and recover. However,  Carey Nisi sees her interaction with her students as a way to maintain her energy and positive attitude.

Over the first week of summer vacation, Nisi’s life took a drastic change when she discovered that she had breast cancer. After her surgery in July, she soon began weekly chemotherapy treatment. Nisi has not let cancer interrupt her commitment to her students and her love of art as she has chosen to remain teaching throughout her treatment.

Nisi said, “Chemo is brutal. It wipes you out. It makes you bald – come on! You feel like you have the flu constantly.”

Chemotherapy is a long process that really takes a toll on the body. Common side effects of chemo include hair loss, nausea, loss of appetite, weakness and lowered resistance to infections. Nisi’s hardest battle though is keeping up her high energy level.

Nisi said, “It takes a lot of energy to run a studio and to teach. At times I think I could have been an actor, pretending all is fine, other times, I just need to lay low.”

Nisi has been teaching within Stillwater schools for almost 12 years with her focus primarily being in the art department. She has taught a wide variety of classes including clay and sculpture, jewelry, photography and AP studio art. She devotes her time to teaching students about the beauty of art.

Senior Megan Letkeman said, “Ms. Nisi inspired me and challenged me to not make my photography simplistic, but instead look for meaning and significance that would make my art beautiful. I loved being in her class.”

Although health is an established priority for Nisi, what has amazed students is her continuous dedication to their learning. Nisi has chosen to remain at school through her treatment, only missing Fridays for chemotherapy.

Nisi said, “I love my job. When you love what you do, you will do whatever it takes to be able do it. At this point I think I will be able to maintain my current schedule.If I reach a point that I feel I need to take time off, I will.”

Even on the tough days, Nisi’s students have been able to serve as a distraction and an energy booth. Nisi believes that coming to school is helping her through her treatment as it allows her to focus on students and all that goes into educating them about art.

Nisi said, “I believe that it well worth it to push myself on my crummy days because any energy I put forth is multiplied in return by my students. They give me energy. They inspire me and they make me laugh.”

Being in a close-knit department, other art teachers have been able to provide constant support and resources to help Nisi maintain her busy schedule. Nisi has also had the blessing of two student assistants, Tom Brooks and Madi Reibe.

Nisi said, “Ms. Simkins and Mr. Koltun are great friends and always willing to help and other staff have gone out of their way to support me. My two students assists are the absolute best.”

Nisi repays this support from both her students and fellow teachers through her devotion to her class. She is constantly providing encouragement and assistance to her students by staying extra hours or helping students restart an entire project.

Sophomore Tiffany Howarth said,“Ms Nisi is an amazing teacher who is really dedicated to her job and really cares about the students. She is consistently committed to helping her students improve.”

Nisi serves as a role model and inspiration to her students who share the same passion for the beauty of art. Her students and fellow staff members will continue to return her dedication by supporting her throughout her treatment. With a good prognosis, Nisi is able to look forward to her last chemo session scheduled for Dec 13.