Howlett returns with open arms

Last year, Stillwater Area High School’s Assistant Principal, Bill Howlett received the news that he had cancer and had to step down from his position. While the fight is still enduring, Howlett has decided to return to  once again to lend assistance and guidance to the students and staff in the building.

In August 2014, after some time of severe back pain, Howlett fell down in his home and was not able to get back up. After his wife rushed him to the hospital, Howlett was faced with very bad news. He had stage four prostate cancer. Howlett received treatments and continued to be in recovery for the rest of the school year, with friends and concerned ones being updated through his Caring Bridge site. Despite the challenges he faced, and the need for continued watch on his condition, Howlett has returned doing what he loves, helping out the students of SAHS.

The Mission of Assistant Principals

As an Assistant Principal in the White Pony Center, Howlett helps students with last names Hb-O and staff in his center. Howlett regularly speaks to students, parents and staff trying to help solve any of their problems or educate them on how to continue progressing. As a result of his duties, many relationships have been made but because of his gregarious nature, those relationships have become closer and more personal.

“He is very much a people person, and he’s an excellent support person. Not only just for students, but for the whole building, and the whole environment we’re trying to have here at Stillwater,” Spanish teacher Kirsten Carter said.

I mean there’s never a day when you walk in here and go, boy I’m really bored. I mean you gotta be on your A-game everyday. And you know it’s been neat to watch that as he’s come back, he’s got his A-game.

— Aaron Drevlow

Howlett’s Return

As Howlett returned this school year, not only were personal relationships renewed, but also his love for his work. Despite the demanding nature of being an assistant principal, with the daily problems of students or parents alike that require a quick solution, Howlett gives his all.

Aaron Drevlow, Assistant Principal of The Red Pony Center, said, “I mean there’s never a day when you walk in here and go, boy I’m really bored. I mean you gotta be on your A-game everyday. And you know it’s been neat to watch that as he’s come back, he’s got his A-game.”

With ongoing cancer treatment, the ability for Howlett to give it his all at school, home and in the greater community is difficult. Howlett’s love for his job and his natural joy to help people makes him give a large majority of his time to the school, time that is irreplaceable.

Howlett explained, “So I go home and I’m just beat. Just beat. You know last night I slept for two hours in the middle of the evening. And normally, it’s you know, make dinner, go to my kid’s events, and that kind of stuff. But I’m just tired. So I’m spending almost all my time and energy here, but loving it.”

Howlett Staying Positive

Howlett’s role as assistant principal definitely involves problems, just like him having cancer. Despite the problems that arise in his job, Howlett has an ability that allows him to embrace these bad situations and turn them into something good. So far it seems that this ability has allowed Howlett to take last year’s bad situation, and turn this year into a positive one.

Howlett said, “Even the parts that get messy, you know whether that’s kid behavior, or a parent getting upset, even some of those things, my favorite thing is to take those situations and turn them into positive stuff. ”