Ironman Bicycle Ride hits Stillwater roads

Clay Knoll, Advertising Editor

LSIronManBiking1
Photo by Lars Standard
Highways and roads around the Stillwater area were marked off for the 2,000 participants in the Ironman Bicycle Ride. “What I enjoyed most was being outside on such a beautiful day and getting a chance to check out the north side of the district,” said senior Cora Sutherland.

On April 26, the 49th Minnesota Ironman Bicycle Ride took place in the St. Croix area. The bike ride is considered the season opener in the state and has moved around since it started in 1967. Only a few years ago it’s location became the Scenic St. Croix River Valley. Over 100,000 participants have been in the ride since it started.

The ride offered a 14, 27, 29, 60 and 100 mile routes for bikers to choose from. All riders start at the Washington County fairgrounds and could start anytime between 6:30 to 9:30 A.M. Approximately 2,000 bikers showed up from 14 different states and even some from Canada, all sharing the joy of biking.

All day around the Stillwater area, a bicyclist could be seen. The ride was open to all ages and many Stillwater High School students attended.

Senior Cora Sutherland said, “What I enjoyed most was being outside on such a beautiful day and getting a chance to check out the north side of the district. There’s something about seeing an area for the first time on a bike that’s so much better than being in a car.”

What I enjoyed most was being outside on such a beautiful day and getting a chance to check out the north side of the district.

— Cora Sutherland

Majority of participants heard about the ride from someone who has done it in the past such as friend or family. Some pass it from generation to generation.

Senior Christine Corcoran said, “I love biking because I love the speed and freedom it gives me. I heard about the bike ride last year from my dad who first did it in 1990 and I did the 30 miles and it was cold and raining. I was really disappointed because I really wanted to do the 100 mile. So this year I was like ‘I have to do it rain or shine.’”

Stillwater has it’s own biking club for people who enjoy biking just as much as participants in the Ironman Bike Ride.

Captain for the 2015-2016 Mountain Biking Club junior Cooper Hansen said, “What I enjoy most about biking is the fact that you can go out somewhere by yourself and have time to think and get away from life, pound out a couple of miles, then jump back into life.”

The annual Ironman Bicycle Ride was a success and will be for years to come. With its growing popularity it will surely spark interest in new participants from all the positive feedback that people have given it. The ride tends to move location from time to time but hopefully for awhile it will around in Stillwater.