Mary Burchill takes the stage

Photo by Kayley Winkleman Sophomore Mary Burchill is a talented student who has dedicated a substantial part of her life to theater. This dedicated and driven student has played many important roles in several plays and musicals. Being in theatrical productions is her passion and it is an important component to her life.

Ali Thul, Layout Editor

Sophomore Mary Burchill is a talented student who has dedicated a substantial part of her life to theater. This dedicated and driven student has played many important roles in several plays and musicals. Being in theatrical productions is her passion and it is an important component to her life.

Burchill said, “I love theater because of the rush that singing my heart out gives me and how I always feel like I’m at home on a stage. There’s no feeling like it to me, it’s where I feel like I belong and I’m finally good at something.”

Burchill has been in 18 musicals and plays over the past five years. She starred in plays like ‘Peter Pan’, ‘The Little Mermaid’ and even ‘Cinderella’ which will be showing at the high school on May 8-9.

Burchill was not just given important roles in theater productions, she works tirelessly to put on her best performance. Whether it be taking a few extra dance or singing lessons or researching the history of the character, Burchill never falls short in her efforts to put on her best performance.

Director of theater and Drama Club Advisor Haeri Tollefson said, “I think Mary has an intuition. She has more of an intuition than other people. She had a natural understanding, and she just got it in her early age and took off from there. Additionally, she had people who guided her vocally, and she took a lot of dance classes. Also, I think she is driven, and she knows that theater is really what she wants to do. So, she does her homework for the audition to get a better understanding of the role and so therefore she can put it all together.”

Theater is more than a show for Burchill. Theater has taught her priceless lessons about life and has guided her in the path of understanding herself as a person.

Burchill said, “I’ve learned a lot of technique in dancing and acting. I’ve learned patience and that hard work will always pay off. I’ve also learned a lot about myself as a person,  how to really push myself to give the best performance and never leave anything to chance and the importance of a good memory.”

Many underestimate the rewards of finding one’s passion, but not Burchill. She has realized the truly positive effects of having a talent that coexists as a passion. In this appreciation, she refuses to underestimate her potential, so she hopes that even her biggest dreams will become a reality.

Burchill shared, “My major goal is to one day work on Broadway and star in musicals there, but I’m open to any kind of jobs in the theater world. I can’t see myself doing anything else, but I would love to keep performing for a living and hopefully on Broadway.”

Burchill wishes to pursue theater into adulthood. Her largest goal is to make it to Broadway, but she would be happy with any way she could participate throughout her life. Her friends, family and advisors believe in her despite the difficult obstacles that are inevitable. 

I am extremely proud of Mary. God blessed her with a beautiful gift; the ability to move people through her performances in theater and an unbelievable voice. When Mary steps on a stage she shines. She has a deep love for acting and singing and her passion and dedication is inspiring. I have no doubt that she will continue to pursue her dreams and achieve whatever she sets her mind to. She’s a star in my eyes and I couldn’t be more proud.

— Ally Burchill

Tollefson said, “In my many years, Mary probably has the most potential. However, I think any young person needs to know there are many obstacles in place. Getting any job has to do with timing, people and luck.”

Burchill is committed to achieving her goals no matter what level of work is needed to reach them. These theatrical productions have only strengthened Burchill’s work ethic.

Burchill said, “A lot of hard work is practicing, whether it’s my lines or songs or a dance when I have down time I always try to review and memorize. It’s a lot of work to find how to play a character and still be believable. So, a lot of researching is involved with trial and errors. Putting a show together in six or so weeks means there’s not a lot of time to push it off, but part of that rush to learn everything is my favorite part. It definitely pays off on opening night when I’m waiting in the wings and hear people coming in, and then at the end of the show hearing the crowd cheering it makes all the long hours of rehearsals and endless studying definitely worth it.”

Burchill is admired most by those closest to her because they are truly exposed to every aspect of talent that Burchill acquires. Inspired by Burchill’s passion, her loved ones know the remarkable capabilities that she possesses and fully believe that she will reach any dream of her’s because of her talent and dedication.

Burchill’s sister, Ally Burchill said, “I am extremely proud of Mary. God blessed her with a beautiful gift; the ability to move people through her performances in theater and an unbelievable voice. When Mary steps on a stage she shines. She has a deep love for acting  and singing and her passion and dedication is inspiring. I have no doubt that she will continue to pursue her dreams and achieve whatever she sets her mind to. She’s a star in my eyes and I couldn’t be more proud.”