Winkle flips into the Gophers organization

Photo by Anna Craggs
Ben Winkle excitingly stands at SAHS knowing his gymnastics career will be brought to the next level shortly. Winkle said, “Gymnastics kind of made me who I am. I spend so much time working out, like 20 hours a week six days a week. It takes just as much time as school does so just the relationships I have developed with my teammates means everything to me.”

Joey Costa, Advertising Editor

Flipping and tumbling may not be the ideal way of getting gymnasts into college for many, but for senior Ben Winkle it is a dream come true. Gymnastics is not an easy sport to master. The amount of strength and coordination to do many of the stunts they preform are unbelievable. Just having to courage to try and flip yourself multiple times in a row and try and stick the landing is not something an average person would love to try.

Winkle has fully committed to the University of Minnesota for a scholarship in gymnastics. He plans on working with their team his freshman year and have success at a young college age. Located in Minneapolis, he will not have a long drive to come home and will always have family there to support him.

“It [seeing the U of M] was probably one of the best moments of my gymnastics career. Ever since I was a kid I would always watch them, idolize and look up to them so it’s really cool to be a part of the team now,” said Winkle.

A dream of being someone or something can motivate a person beyond belief. It is what drove him to be the person he is today and reach goals that many dream about. Hard work and dedication are not easy to keep for the 15 years he has been doing gymnastics, but he has. He will now be able to compete against the top gymnasts in the country.

Junior Maddie Karr said, “I have never seen him actually do anything, but I have heard he is amazing.”

Winkle shows off his amazing talent by effortlessly flipping himself. Winkle said, "Gymnastics kind of made me who I am. I spend so much time working out, like 20 hours a week six days a week. It takes just as much time as school does so just the relationships I have developed with my teammates means everything to me."
Photo by Anna Craggs
Winkle shows off his amazing talent by effortlessly flipping himself. Winkle said, “Gymnastics kind of made me who I am. I spend so much time working out, like 20 hours a week six days a week. It takes just as much time as school does so just the relationships I have developed with my teammates means everything to me.”t I have heard he is very talented and hope sometime I can come watch him at the U.”

Everyone’s excitement is building to see how his future will turn out. He is taking it all in and loving every minute of it. Although many people may believe because it is a division one college and a division one sport, the University of Minnesota’s budget for gymnastics is not very high. Mainly because of the sport and how its popularity to the public is not high, the salary cap for the athletes is tough to work with. The gyms are still very nice, just not as nice as they could be or would be if they simply had more fans.

“The only time I think I have ever watch gymnastics is in the Olympics when U.S.A is performing, otherwise I am not sure if I have watch a real competition other than that,” said  sophomore Graham Laubscher.

It is a sport that many people love, with not a lot of publicity. Yet, colleges fund it rather than other popular sports such as soccer or baseball. It is not necessarily a growing sport in popularity but the gymnasts and fans seem to love it.

Winkle said, “Gymnastics kind of made me who I am. I spend so much time working out.”

Gymnastics is Winkle’s passion and he excels in every aspect of it. For him, its not hard work to go and work in the weight room and practice everyday. Its something he wants to do everyday and enjoys all the time. In many cases this is the work ethic that you need to have to be as successful as Winkle. Just have fun and love what you do. He hopes to become one of the greatest gymnasts in  Minnesota and with his determination he just might.