Dennis Toenjes

The Stippels’ meeting was a chance one for sure, but as fate would have it, they met, started dating, and married 27 years ago. Roger Stippel explained, “The Friday after that dinner at her mothers house and after my freshmen game I pursued to build a conversation with Mrs. Stippel at which point I got her phone number.” Lori Stippel offers the rest of the story, “I was dating somebody at the time and so he called me up wanting to know if I could go out with him on a Friday or Saturday and I had already had a date planned. I said, ‘I’m really sorry, I have a date that night, and I said does that bother you?’ And he paused briefly, and said, ‘No, because in a week you’ll just be dating me’, and that was the case. Thirty nine days later he asked me to marry him and I said ‘yup.'”

Staff couples tell their love stories

The month of February reminds people if their loved ones. Valentine’s Day is coming soon on Feb. 14. American culture is in love with love. Little girls grow up watching Disney movies about Prince Charming. There are some lucky ladies who have found the right ones. These ladies happen to be teachers.

There are three teachers couples at the high school;  Roger and Lori Stippel,  Andy and Sandy Weaver, and Kirsten Carter and Matt Hemenway. Lori Stippel teaches senior literature classes and Roger Stippel teaches government/politics, U.S. history and psychology. Sandy Weaver is the counselor for students with names Hb-La. Her husband, Andy Weaver, teaches AP biology and AP environmental science. Kirsten Carter is a Spanish teacher, her husband, Matt Hemenway is an advanced algebra and precalculus teacher.

“She was just a girl, 7th grade, I was 13,” Hemenway said about his first thought about his wife. Hemenway and Carter met in 7th grade science class, and they started dating the following year in eighth grade. They ended up dating all through high school.

Hemenway said, “We ended up at the same college kinda by chance.” The two went to St. Cloud State University. They weren’t together freshmen year of college, but during that year they hang around the same friends. After that year they became a couple again, and have been together ever since.

“I think it’s wonderful, can’t complain a bit. Life is just a dream,” said Hemenway.

Lori and Roger Stippel have been married for 28 years.

“We met in Wausau, Wisconsin I was teaching at Wausau, and she was teaching in Waterville, Wisconsin which was about 10 miles north,” said Roger Stippel.

When Roger Stippel came to Wausau to start his teaching job, he met Lori’s mother. She was a stay at home mom who was returning to teaching after raising her children. Roger Stipple had also met Lori Stippel’s younger brother, Andy, the year before when he was a assistant coach at Hamline University. Later that year, Lori’s Stipple mother invited Roger Stippel out to their house one night for dinner.

“I was 24 when we met, Mrs. Stippel was a year older than me,” said Roger Stippel.

When the Stippel’s moved to the Stillwater Area, and both decided that they wanted to work at SAHS.

Roger Stipple said, “We had to go through extra hurdles, because they were worried that hiring two teachers that are married could be a conflict, and a conflict of interest too.”

Now they have been working together for a number of years, and they have seemed to jump those hurdles. Roger Stippel is the supportive husband at home, but when they are at school they are just fellow teachers.

“I don’t know what couples do that aren’t in the same occupation. Two/thirds of what Mrs. Stippel and I talk about is teaching, and even more specifically it might be students we share in common,” said Roger Stippel.

Andy and Sandy Weaver both work in the building as a biology teacher and a guidance counselor. They have two daughters who have attended the school too.

Megan said, “I love my parents. I got very lucky. They are gems and they are perfect for each other. My Dad is really crazy and immature, but he has my mom to keep him in line; so it all works out.”

The Weavers actually met at our high school when they both started working. Megan has had her Dad as a teacher before. Megan believes that her parents working in the same facility has had a positive impact.

“They usually visit each other throughout the day, just to say hi, so it’s nice,” said Megan.

Couples having similar jobs can make their relationships strong. The Stippels, Weavers and Hemenway and Carter have shown us all they can make it work.

• M

Madie WoltmanMar 31, 2015 at 11:47 pm

This article was so interesting and the topic was a great choice. The quotes showed us what teachers are like outside of school and it was interesting to read the background of the couples!

Reply
  • I

Ingrid KollajaFeb 19, 2015 at 10:56 am

This article proves that the questions asked were very in depth. It’s fun to see teachers’ lives outside of school and this gives us information on their personal lives we never really see.

Reply
  • H

HadleyFeb 18, 2015 at 10:16 am

Very good article, great questions. I love how you interveiwed more than one couple.

Reply
  • D

Dennis ToenjesFeb 18, 2015 at 4:49 am

Very well written article, I liked how it seemed like personal writing with the usage of quotes. The article was also good in that it was about a topic that not many know much about, but you delivered it in a well educated manner.

Reply
  • R

Rhyan BieverFeb 17, 2015 at 11:45 pm

I really enjoyed this article because it gave some more personal information on the teachers and it was very nice. The qoutes were really good and also the mood set at the beginning of the article gave the story a warm feel. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article

Reply
  • J

Joel LangeFeb 17, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Article shows good questions were asked. There was a good use if quotes from the couples and the upload on Valentines Day was genius.

Reply
  • K

Kyah LaBanczFeb 17, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Very interesting article! I liked the lead, I thought it was a good way to get readers attention. It was awesome finding out a bit about each couples love story! I wasn’t aware that there were so many married teachers at Stillwater.

Reply
  • M

Megan AllerFeb 17, 2015 at 6:11 pm

This article is so interesting, I love how Anna did more then one staff couple and I also loved how she went into depth on the background on each couple. Its so cool to read the background on each teacher and how they met.

Reply