Bailey Hesse-Withbroe nests in Iowa City

“Iowa was the school that felt most like home for me. The campus was the best out of all of the schools I was considering. The team seemed like a close-knit group, and I really connected with the coaching staff,” said senior Bailey Hesse-Withbroe. Hearing these convincing remarks only began to signify the confidence Hesse-Withbroe showed in regards to his future years as a Hawkeye. Over the past several months, he had the opportunity to tour several colleges and has recently settled on the University of Iowa.

Hesse-Withbroe was leery in touring colleges and for good reason. He was searching for the best possible fit in a distance running program that could suit his athletic ability and also his academic ambition. After several tours at popular colleges such as the University of Nebraska and the University of Minnesota M, Hesse-Withbroe chose Iowa.

Hesse-Withbroe raced in several of the biggest races in the sport of high school cross-country against the fastest teams and runners, some of which came from his own team. There were plenty of sources for motivation which he used to achieve the position he gained. As the 9th fastest individual in the state, Hesse-Withbroe had an immensely successful season and expressed hopes to continue at Iowa.

“I’ve had a very successful high school running career both in track and cross-country. I’ve always achieved my goals over the years. I feel that the team and coaching staff at Iowa will help further develop my career as a runner,” said Hesse-Withbroe. He expressed goals that would seem impossible to some.

Hesse-Withbroe was fortunate in running for head coach Scott Christensen. Christensen guided him to all he achieved through his high school career and supported him the whole way. Hesse-Withbroe expressed thanks for the training he was given in the last four years, however he is looking forward to the next few where he will be in the similar program of head coach Layne Anderson.

“[Coach Anderson] has almost 20 years of coaching experience. He is upbeat and is a very passionate person. He seems to bring out the best in his athletes, which is similar to Scott,” said Hesse-Withbroe. He expressed that Christensen will be missed in years to come, but he is eager to work with Anderson as well.

The University of Iowa, along with countless other colleges, endure their athletes in a more rigorous distance program. Not only are the races 3,000 meters longer, athletes are encouraged to participate in cross training as well. This consists of multiple forms of physical exercise that strengthens the body in the same areas that are required to compete in the athlete’s given sport.

‘He is upbeat and is a very passionate person.

— Bailey Hess-Withbroe

“The main difference in training is the strength and conditioning. Iowa has state-of-the-art weight rooms and cross training equines that are used regularly, which is a huge upgrade from high school programs,” said Hesse-Withbroe. Cross training is an effective way to enhance a runner’s athletic ability and strengthen his or her body to compete at a higher level.

Although the athletic program was a decisive factor for Hesse-Withbroe in selecting a college, he also took into consideration his future further than college. He also chose to examine the academics of colleges, which were satisfied at the University of Iowa. Hesse-Withbroe hopes to major in human physiology and pursue a career in physical therapy.

“Academics are the most important part of college. I know once I’ve graduated college the chance to make a living off of running is going to be almost impossible, so getting a great education is very important, and that was a huge factor in choosing Iowa,” said Hesse-Withbroe.

College running and academics have proposed endless challenges for him, but Hesse-Withbroe showed the will to accept them. However, after moving on to a bigger stage, all the time spent in high school will be left behind. He was motivated by all that he accomplished to achieve great things in the near and distant future.

“I know it will be difficult to adjust to college life and the increased training, but I’m motivated by the challenge. I’m going to miss all of the great friendships I’ve built over the years at Stillwater though,” said Hesse-Withbroe.

Hesse-Withbroe claimed endless excitement for the upcoming track and field season. He expressed several goals to achieve before leaving behind his high school career for a more challenging scenario with much to learn. Hesse-Withbroe looks forward to becoming a Hawkeye and has nothing but high hopes for the rigorous competition he will endure and hopefully achieve high goals as he did in high school.