Language and learning outside class time

Photo by Rachel Neumann
Spanish Club is full of students interested in further expanding their knowledge of spanish language and culture. Member Kaitlyn Huntley said, “Participating [in Spanish Club] has helped me expand my Spanish vocabulary as well as provide me with the opportunity to be involved in a new culture.” Students are engaged in fun activities, communicating only in Spanish, making new friends and experiences.
¡Hola mis amigos! Spanish club, also known as Club de Español, is a new club which started in late December. The club meets Thursdays after school from 2:30-3:30 p.m. Club de Español is offered to all students who want to learn more about the Spanish language and culture, and it is led by Associate Professor of Modern World Languages, Sarah Tahtinen-Pacheco, of Bethel University.

Spanish Club students participate in games, activities, cooking, dancing, guest speakers and trips. Students can experience Latin American culture and become better versed with the language.

“This year students will meet several special guests and enjoy activities including games, movies, cooking, crafts, dances and more.  For example, one week we hosted YouTube guest, Taylor Bothune, (known for “Speak Spanish to me”) and another week, we made Mexican hot chocolate,” said Tahtinen-Pacheco.

Learning a new language can better prepare students for the future. Club de Español gives students a chance to further their education and specialize their skills.

“As a university professor, I am amazed by the additional career opportunities for those able to communicate in more than one language. Speaking Spanish is helping university students get jobs in competitive fields such as Medicine, Business and Education. Did you know that Spanish is the official language for over 20 countries worldwide?” said Tahtinen-Pacheco.

Junior Lauren Lindahl has taken Spanish class for four years, and after learning about Club de Español in class, is contemplating joining to further her language abilities.

“Participating [in Spanish Club] has helped me expand my Spanish vocabulary as well as provide me with the opportunity to be involved in a new culture.

— Kaitlyn Huntley

Lindahl said, “I’ve really enjoyed taking Spanish throughout the years, and I thought Spanish Club sounded fun. It’s free and it sounded like there were a lot of activities going on within the club. They’re taking a trip to a Spanish restaurant.”

Tahtinen-Pacheco started the Spanish Club this year to help students have an opportunity to improve their Spanish speaking skills outside of classroom time.

Tahtinen-Pacheco said, “As a Stillwater parent, I want to support students and teachers in the district world language programs.  As an educator, I know how important it is to have opportunities to practice using language outside of the classroom and in social situations.  I hope to provide opportunities for SAHS students to practice Spanish in a social environment.  Students should join to improve Spanish conversation skills, make new friends, and have lots of fun. ”

Junior Kaitlyn Huntley joined Club de Español this year. Since it started, she has only been able to go a couple times but will begin to go more regularly as the school year progresses. Huntley has enjoyed her time at the meetings and is looking forward to more.

“I joined Spanish Club because I’m eager to continue learning the language, and I felt like this experience would help me further experience the culture as a whole. I like meeting new kids who are also passionate about the language. I enjoy experiencing different cultures, and we, as a group, plan to go on select field trips such as visiting Spanish markets or dining at Mexican restaurants,” Huntley said.

Being a part of Spanish Club has helped Huntley with the language, which has given her the opportunity to expand her vocabulary, her participation in class and in the Latin American culture.

Huntley said, “Participating [in Spanish Club] has helped me expand my Spanish vocabulary as well as provide me with the opportunity to be involved in a new culture.”

Spanish Club is welcome to all students wanting to actively learn and participate in the Spanish and Latin American language and culture.