Minnesota hockey is wild about Trevor Eder-Zdechlik

Justin Hannasch, Team Lead Editor

kdtrevorcolor2
Photo by Kaitlyn Doyle
Trevor Eder-Zdechlik was chosen by the Minnesota Wild to be sponsored through his battle with cancer. “I felt honored on behalf of our family for Trevor to be selected for this event, out of the many children could have been asked,” said Bob Eder-Zdechlik.

The Minnesota Wild know a thing or two about winning, as they have made the playoffs two years in a row, and are on the hunt again for another chance to capture Lord’s Stanley Cup. Not only are the Wild winning on the ice, they are winning off the ice as well. For 10 years now, The Minnesota Wild players take off their gear, roll up their sleeves and serve the people. This year, the Wild were at A’BULANE in St. Paul, serving 330 guests and raising money for charity.

Each year, the Wild also choose one patient from Minnesota to honor at the event. This year, they honored sophomore, Trevor Eder-Zdechlik.

Trevor was diagnosed with cancer at a young age. Since then, he has been battling it and is beating it. In honor of this, Trevor was honored at the “Wild About Children” event and was treated to dinner with current Wild players, all while raising money for charities and clinics in Minnesota.

Out of all of the possible candidates for honoring at this event, Trevor was the one chosen. He talked about how he found out about this event, and how he was selected.

“One of my social workers told me about the event and so they picked me out of all the patients, so I was pretty excited about that,” Trevor explained.

Trevor’s dad, Bob Eder-Zdechlik, commented as well on his thoughts of Trevor being selected. He said, “I felt honored on behalf of our family for Trevor to be selected for this event, out of the many children could have been asked.”

On top of meeting them and getting autographs, Trevor also was able to just socialize with some of the players. He talked about which of the players stood out to him.

He said, “Zach Parise stood out, obviously, he was super nice. Koivu and Granlund were also super nice as well.”

“I felt honored on behalf of our family for Trevor to be selected for this event, out of the many children could have been asked.

— Bob Eder Zdechlik

At the dinner event, Trevor also had the chance to bring all of his family to the event and have them share this life-time experience with him.

“That made a big difference that my family was there, since they have been such a big support, so I feel like I owe them something and having them there made it better,” he said.

Bob Eder-Zdechlik explained his thoughts on the event as well, “My favorite thing about the event was meeting all of the players and seeing how genuine they really are. It is so great to see them give back to the community.”

Not only did this event benefit Trevor, hospitals, charities, and other clinics benefit as well. In fact, the Minnesota Wild stated that this event raised a record of $195,000. Since 2004, this event has raised over $1 million as well.

For a boy who has had a hard last couple of years, battling and fighting, it is only fitting that he is honored in such a respectable way. Being honored by the Minnesota Wild is something not too many people can say they have had happened to them and now Trevor can say he has.